The first time I met him on the day I start my seventh-grade class. He is tall and skinny, small head, and really small eyes. His voice is quiet and calm. He is a nice person. Anything you want him to help, he will help you if he can. Also, he is a funny guy. You can hear a lot of funny jokes or stuff from him. So, it’s easy to make friends with him if you have the same hobby as him. For example, like animes and games. And you will have a good time with him.

My first Memory of ZhuangZhi is that he played games on his phone during the gym class. When we had free time in the gym class. It doesn’t the same as in the U.S. Our free time you can do whatever you want. So I sit next to him and watch him play games. Because I played that game too. So we make a friend and share our experience

We are still really good friends. Our relationship is even better than before. We text and talk on a Chinese app like Snapchat. It’s call QQ.

Interview questions:

1. How do you feel about this pandemic?

2. How’s life changed in China during quarantine?

3. Do you feel like your government and leader are going a good job?

4. How do you usually travel around town? Has that been disrupted because of COVID?

5. Do you think about dying? Are you scared? Do you believe in an after-life?

6. Do you look at your life differently now than before Covid-19?

7. How was the pandemic discussed and/or handled at your school/job?

8. What seemed normal a few weeks ago that seems strange to you now? What are you doing now that will likely seem strange to you in a month or two?

9. What affects you the most about the country is in lockdown?

10. How’s a life changed in China during quarantine?

11. How do people manage the situation? What needs are being met?  What needs AREN’T being met?

12. Is there anything else you would like people to know?

How’s a life changed in China during quarantine?

“My life didn’t get affected by this pandemic because I do not usually go out all the time. So I just can easily stay home for a couple of months and then when things were fixed by the government, I can just enjoy my summer vacation now.

How do people manage the situation? What needs are being met?  What needs AREN’T being met?

“Basically, in our neighborhood, the policeman or security guard will catch everyone who goes outside without a ticket. And that ticket is for all the families to go out and buy food but each time can only go out for one person. For some time emergency, they will put an extra metal gate to block all the buildings people lived. Make sure nobody runs out secretly.”

My reflection:

I mean this is the most difficult project I’ve ever done. The most difficult part isn’t the interview, it is the preparation and after work. Because when you recording your interview, you feel nothing but a regular conversation with your friend. Like discussing the daily lives. But preparing the interview and after work of the interview is way more difficult and complicated than the interview. You got to write stuff, doing researches, fixing little issues, translate the interview from Chinese to English, and so on. So, I would say the interview is easy, but other works are on the opposite side.

1. Rhonda Hendrickson 3 months ago

Great Job on your project! The use of guards to keep people from leaving their homes is very interesting and scary. I’m happy that your friend is not suffering during the lock down and I’m happy you two are able to keep in touch using social media. I hope that everyone in your community back home is safe and healthy. Thank you for sharing this with us.

2. Chelsie 3 months ago

Dear Xue Feng Zheng,
    I was excited while reading your Oral history with your friend ZhuangZhi Lin, Even if am not Chinese I really like the interview hearing you guys speaking in your native’s language makes me proud and also because I like the language, to be honest, am always watching Chinese drama even if I don’t entirely understand every word.

I have learned that in your friend’s neighborhood that policeman will catch anyone without a ticket to go out, it must be hard for him and for his family to only have one ticket to use.

Your oral history connects to me and my friend’s experience during the COVID19 because any of us can’t get out when we want to, but it is a bit different because she and I don’t need a ticket to go out. I look forward to reading another story about your friend’s experience or yours. I will like to hear some Chinese conversations between you and your friend next time because I think that was the best part in your oral history.
    ???

3. ZhengHao 3 months ago

I am excited about your oral history with your friend, ZhuangZhi because I am also Chinese and it reminds me how I made friends back in the day and how things change because of COVID and still seeing you have a good relationship with your friend.
    one thing I learned from the oral history that stood out for me is: “Basically, in our neighborhood, the policeman or security guard will catch everyone who goes outside without a ticket. And that ticket is for all the families to go out and buy food but each time can only go out for one person. For some time of emergency, they will put an extra metal gate to block all the buildings people live in. Make sure nobody runs out secretly.” I think this is intelligent because that is a way to control the virus to spread to more people and make sure everyone is safe and china is the only country that is doing that.
    Your oral history project connects to my own experience. During COVID, I can’t go out too and I have to stay at home and text my friend online. Thanks for your work on this project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to know more about how u and your friend are doing during this pandemic.