With my mom Dominga, there have really been a lot of great moments, but the best story with my mom is when I would go out with her to the park on Sundays to eat ice cream, or go out with her in the summer to swim. I was 3 or 4 years old when I realized the truth: that she was a great woman. Before I immigrated to New York, I was with her. I spent a lot of time with my mom, but since coming to the United States I hardly ever see her. Often I try to communicate daily with her, even if it’s an hour or two a day.

I think that my mom and I are the same in the personal aspect, sentimental and in all aspects, we have always supported each other and we tell our things that we are really so the same but at the same time so different,

That for me is the best woman in the world and is and will be the only person who will always truly interest me in all aspects, that woman is my life, and I love her very much.

My first strongest memory with my mom, the best thing is that she never left me alone and she was always with me fighting until the end, always together she and I really remember everything she lived with my mom. Now I miss her because we are not together and I really thank her for everything she did and the great support she gave me.

I think my relationship changed a little with her despite the fact that I try to talk to her every day, but it will be because it is very different to do things and say them only by phone because the interaction between my mom and me is by phone or by facetime of WhatsApp only thus we have been in communication.

Today I live in Brooklyn with my uncles I emigrated from the city of Tlaxcala Mexico, approximately 10 months ago. My mother and father still live in Ayometla Tlaxcala,

Questions

1. How have you been in this quarantine?
  2. What are you doing in this quarantine?
  3. Have the Ayometla people taken this about the coronavirus seriously?
  4. Now, in this quarantine, have you lived with people or done some group activities?
  5. Have you seen a case of coronavirus in Ayometla?
  6. How has the government instructed them or what precautions should they take or are they taking?
  7.   How has your life changed due to this pandemic?
  8. Finally, how has this quarantine served you?

Excerpt 1 Question:Qué está pasando en ayometla que tiempos de sanidad siguen? En si hay una carro que anda perifoneando las reglas que tenemos que seguir entonces, solo usar cubre bocas y no lavarse las manos pero mas bien donde yo vivo no se ha escuchado mucho esa gracias a dios.

Excerpt 1 Translated response: What is happening in Ayometla what times of healing follow? As if there is a car that is interfering with the rules that we have to follow then, only use mouth covers and do not wash hands but rather where I have not heard much, thank God.

1. Rhonda Hendrickson 2 weeks ago

Your relationship with your mother seems to be filled with love and devotion. It sounds like she is very special to you. I think you are very brave to have come to this country without your mom and dad. I hope they keep their mask on and I hope you all can be together again very soon. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

2. Xuefeng 3 weeks ago

Dear Edwin,
    I am interested in your oral history with your mom Dominga in Tlaxcala because I can feel the love between you and your mom. As the same immigrant like you. I’m lucky that all my family members with me. But I still can feel, the emotion in your words that you really missing your home and your mom. These really touch my heart.
    One thing I learned from the oral history that stood out for me is: “As if there is a car that is interfering with the rules that we have to follow then, only use mouth covers and do not wash hands but rather where I have not heard much, thank God.” I think this is sad because we have to do everything we can to keep us out of this virus, for us also for our families, friends. We must do things and we must not do things. To keep everyone safe and get through this crazy pandemic.
    Your oral history project connects to my own experience. During COVID, I and my family did a good job. For example, we only go out if we need food and only one person can go. We use alcohol to clean everything, especially like door handles. Some times my sister and my mom will dance and make us laugh. So we literally do what we can do to keep us safe and happy. Thanks for your work on this project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your writing is very beautiful. How you describe your mom? How you miss her? How you love her? These are very beautiful words and I know I shouldn’t say that in summer. But your project makes my heart warm. And I wish you and your family will be great and happy.