Recently, I read “The Glass Menagerie,” by Tennessee Williams. I felt intrigued when I start to read the scenes of this play.  The play portrays some of the discussions that the family has, and the mother is protecting her children. The mother wants her children to do the things that she wants without reproach.

The protagonist is Amanda. Her character is that of a mother that wants her children to have a good future for her children, specifically with her son, Tom. Her character is very protective and manipulative in her own way.

Amanda faces certain forces and pressures by the decisions her children make and she tries to change the state they live in now. She meets these forces and pressures by deciding to find a rich man to marry her daughter Laura as well for her son Tom. She decides all the novels and poetry that she likes. You can see this early in the play. In the first scene, in lines 43 it says: “AMANDA: Resume your seat, little sister, I want you to stay fresh and pretty for gentleman callers.”

The tension rises when she starts to involve her daughter with the gentleman callers. This might leave a reader feeling interested in this play to see how this gets resolved.

The play climaxes when Amanda invites a young man for her daughter. “AMANDA [very gaily]: Laura, that is your brother and Mr. O’Connor! Will, you let them in, darling?.”

The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. Amanda is upset by the man that Tom brings for Laura. Tom didn’t tell her that the young man wasn’t good for Laura, but Tom did know about it too. This shows two conflicts that are person vs. person and person vs. self because everything goes out of her hands. She never expected this accident. 

1. Samantha 3 months ago

Dear Abigail:
    I am excited by your post, “Deception,”because reading is very interesting. You are left with the intrigue that it will happen later. I like how the plot is.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict.” I think this is great that when people have conflicts they resolve them. I think that when we have conflicts we all have to try to resolve them.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I was very interested in this post you made. I like the story you have read is very interesting.

Samantha Mora.