Amanda, the protagonist in “The Glass Menagerie”, has a few traits that influence her relationships with others.

One, she is worried. Two, she exaggerates. Three, she is ambitious.

These traits influence her relationships with others. “AMANDA: You smoke too much. A pack a day at fifteen cents a pack. How much would that amount to in a month? Thirty times fifteen is how much, Tom? Figure it out and you will be astounded at what you could save. Enough to give you a night-school course in accounting at Washington U! Just think what a wonderful thing that would be for you, Son !”  Amanda’s worries come into play here when she asks her son Tom how much money he can save if he stops smoking. She cares about how much is lost in that, instead, he can use it to do something for his future. Tom is a careless person who does not like too much worry from Amanda.

Later, on lines #165 and #166, Laura interacts with Amanda. “LAURA: What shall I wish for, Mother? AMANDA [her voice trembling and her eyes suddenly filling with tears]: Happiness! Good fortune!” Amanda’s response here deepens a reader’s sense of her ambition and sparks a feeling of intrigue. Amanda is telling her daughter to ask for fortune and her tears show that she is not happy with what she has.