Dear Pregnant Mothers, 

I am writing to you mothers because you could be  affected by premature labor. You are affected because some mothers might have habits while being pregnant which put mothers at risk of having premature labor. If you have a preterm baby your child can have ll.4% health complications. 

Therefore, based on the credible Research , premature labor is a public health issue because some mothers do not understand how certain habits affect their babies physical and mental health and it can be prevented.

Mother’s Health During Pregnancy             

Firstly, mothers do not know or do not understand  how drinking, smoking, and too much stress can cause premature labor. In an article named “Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs)” Published by CDC (Centers of Disease Control and Prevention) it said “There is no known safe amount of alcohol use during pregnancy or while trying to get pregnant. There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink. All types of alcohol are equally harmful, including all wines and beer” (CDC).When you are pregnant and drink alcohol and beer you would have a higher risk of having a premature baby. Premature labor is when a baby is born 32-33 weeks after the day it was supposed to be born. In an article named “Why are babies born early?” the author Armando Fuentes, a doctor who specializes in fetal medicine, explains “A premature birth is more likely to happen when a mother has a health problem — like diabetes — or does harmful things during her pregnancy, like smoke or drink. If she lives with a lot of stress, that also can make her baby be born too early” (Fuentes). Additionally not only does drinking, smoking and too much stress affect the baby, it depends on the mother’s health too if a mother has a health problem the mother can have a higher risk of having a premature baby when she’s pregnant. If  mothers don’t understand why this is harmful for the baby and what it causes then the amount of babies who are born premature is going to increase and there will be a multitude of premature cases. If it increases more than more babies/humans are going to have health problems in this world when they develop. I want to enlighten mothers to understand what is beneficial for them and their child while pregnant. In an article named “12 Ways to Stay Healthy During Pregnancy” published by Audra Meadows, MD, MPH is an obstetrician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH). She explains 12 important ways to stay healthy and discusses Alcohol, Tobacco Use and Stress. She says: Women should not drink alcohol before and during their pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Drinking alcohol increases the risk of having a baby with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD). FASD can cause abnormal facial features, severe learning disabilities, and behavioral issues.Alcohol can impact a baby’s health in the earliest stages of pregnancy, before a woman may be aware she is pregnant. Therefore, women who may become pregnant also should not drink alcohol…Smoking is unhealthy for you and your unborn child. It increases the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), premature births, miscarriages, and several other unhealthy outcomes…Reducing stress is crucial for improving birth outcomes. Pregnant women should avoid, as much as they can, stressful situations. Recruit your loved ones to help you with this” (Meadows).

Babies Physical & Mental Health

Secondly, Drinking, smoking, and too much stress can harm a child’s health. The  child can have physical and mental health difficulties because the child was born earlier than expected for a child to develop in the womb. In a credible article named “Premature Babies” published by March of Dimes it said “Premature babies may have more health problems than babies born later. These include problems with their brain, lungs, heart, eyes and other organs” (March of Dimes). When a premature baby is born it would be born with health disabilities that were mentioned by the program. Therefore mothers who do not understand how certain habits affect their babies physical and mental health they still do it because they are addicted to drinking, smoking, or have too much stress with work or house cleaning or even with their children or husband at home. Stating that “Premature babies may have more health problems than babies born later” Babies who are born later have less health and physical problems than premature babies.. In an article named “Premature birth statistic” a program named Tommy’s explained “1 in 10 of all premature babies will have a permanent disability such as lung disease, cerebral palsy, blindness or deafness. 1 in 2 of premature babies born before 26 weeks of gestation will have some sort of disability (this includes mild disability such as requiring glasses)”(Tommy’s). When having a preterm baby it can affect the baby in many ways it can affect it with health or even mentally. When babies are born on the day that it was supposed there’s a less chance of the baby having health problems. To preclude  these mothers please do not drink, smoke, and stress too much in little situations. This is how you can prevent premature labor from happening to your child. 

Survey response

We surveyed 27 Oakland teens and adults in the Bay Area about what they know and what they think about premature labor. One of the questions that were in the survey was “When you hear the word premature labor what comes to mind first?” one of the respondents says “Babies born before they are at full term. They are usually smaller than the average full-term baby, and often have health complications as a result” another respondent said “I don’t know, babies?”. Not all of the Oakland community knows about premature labor and this is not the whole Oakland community there are more people in the Oakland community to educate and to understand why premature labor is harmful for the baby’s health and development.This is a small portion of the Oakland community that was surveyed.

Pie charts and Graphs about survey

Figure 1 is titled: When a premature baby is born does it have health problems?

It shows that  Only 18.5% of the participants think that when a premature baby is born they do not have health problems.

This argues that less than half of the community think that there is no solution for premature labor.

Figure 2 is titled: Number of people who believe that everyone should know about premature labor by age. 5 stands for strongly agree and 1 stands for strongly disagree.

It shows that  12 – 18 year olds and 25 – 35 year olds believe that everyone in the Oakland community should know about premature labor but, 18 – 25 year olds and 35 – 40 year olds believe that no one should know about premature labor.

This argues that the participants who took this survey  do not agree that everyone should know about premature labor; this would affect the community because if the community does not know about this there would be a Multitude cases of premature labor.

Figure 3 is titled: Number of people who experienced premature labor by gender

It shows that More than half of females had experienced premature labor. More than half of males had not experienced premature labor.

This argues that less males know or experienced premature labor and more females have. This means that more males have to be educated so when his wife is pregnant he would know to warn her about drinking and stress can harm the child and have a premature child.

Based on the research and the survey, to be a health advocate and upstander for Premature Labor I will use social media and propaganda also I am going to use Building alternative Institutions. 

Aim #1 Educate the Oakland community virtually by explaining why smoking and drinking while pregnant can have a higher risk of having premature labor using social media and propaganda. 

Firstly, I am going to talk about social media and propaganda. I will use this tactic of social change to help me spread the word and make people understand why Drinking and smoking is terrible for the baby’s health. Also to make them understand while doing those harmful substances the mother can have a higher risk of premature labor (baby born earlier than expected). By educating Oakland residents about premature labor and what causes it and how to prevent it would decrease the rate of women having premature labor. How I would educate Oakland residents and all over the world would be through social media (Instagram) because it would help me by posting important information about premature labor. Therefore, we will post helpful facts, tips, and videos how drinking, smoking and too much stress harms your child and gives you a higher risk of having a preterm baby. However I am going to expect some obstacles that some people will Ignore the post and not read because they are not interested in Preterm labor and this situation is not talked about in the Bay Area.

Aim #2 While not being  sheltered in place I would  put up posters in the streets and give out flyers.

Furthermore, by putting posters in streets and giving out flyers it would help spread the word to people who do not know about preterm labor. This would be effective because it would be colorful and decorative to catch people’s attention and make people want to read what it is about. The flyers would be effective because we would pass them out to people who pass by us.The supplies that we would be needing is paper and colorful and bright markers and it would be showing how drinking, smoking, and too much stress while being pregnant harms the child and the mother would have a higher risk of having a preterm child. It would also show the definition of preterm birth because as it showed in our survey response not all of the Oakland community knows what preterm labor is. The obstacles that I would be expecting are people getting the flyers and throwing it directly in the trash without even taking a single look at it because they are not interested in premature labor.

Aim #3 If I had no limitations : Create a clinic for pregnant women 

Secondly, I am going to talk about Building Alternative Institutions. I will use this tactic of social change to build a clinic for women who are Interested or want to know more about premature labor also we will help women who are at risk of having a premature baby. It is open to all genders who want to know about premature labor or are curious about premature labor.

Additionally, if I had no limitations I would use building an alternative institution in order to create a clinic for pregnant women that can be for all genders who want to know about premature labor or do not understand the reason why premature labor is dismal for baby’s health. Also it is open for pregnant women who are at risk of having premature labor and needs information on how to prevent premature labor. The steps that I would be using is I will congregate a group of people to help me sign a petition to get people’s name who agrees to build a clinic for people to get information about premature labor and for women who are at risk of having preterm labor. In order to get Information about premature labor I would talk to professionals who know about the topic of premature labor. Also nurses who take care of a baby once the baby is born I would also use the Internet to find credible Information that I can take and learn from. The obstacles I  expect are that on the internet there might be untrue information about premature babies which can hurt the mother and the child.

I plan to measure my success by seeing that I have oodles of followers on Instagram and posting important information about preterm labor. Also I will know that my actions are successful by the number of followers likes and comment on my posts lastly 

I appreciate you so much for taking your time by reading this important information and spreading the word to people and friends that you know and explain what premature labor is and having evidence to back up your statement. If you would want  to see my posts and collaborate here is my Instagram account @prematurelabor please send my Instagram account to your friends family and anyone you know thank you 

Sincerely

Aida Pablo

Work cited

“Alcohol Use in Pregnancy.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 30 Apr. 2020, www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/alcohol-use.html.

“Premature Babies.” March of Dimes, www.marchofdimes.org/complications/premature-babies.aspx#.

“Premature Birth Statistics.” Tommy’s, www.tommys.org/our-organisation/why-we-exist/premature-birth-statistics.

“Why Are Babies Born Early? (for Parents) – Nemours KidsHealth.” Edited by Armando Fuentes, KidsHealth, The Nemours Foundation, Oct. 2018, kidshealth.org/en/parents/born-early.html.