In our English class, we are reading the play and we decided to write about the characters. The main characters in the play are Tom, Amanda, and Laura. Which is Amanda is the Mother’s of Laura. The third and fourth sections of The Glass Menagerie. By Tennessee Williams might leave a reader feeling confused at the beginning because in lines between seven and eight.

An example of this is on page < 6-7>. “An evening at home rarely passed without some allusion to this image, this specter, this hope.  Even when he wasn’t mentioned, his presence hung in Mother’s preoccupied look and in my sister’s frightened, apologetic manner – hung like a sentence passed upon the Wingfields”. This is great because even though is confusing but as you read the play you will understand.

We learn something interesting about one on the characters, Amanda on page <48-49 > where it says: “TOM: What do you think I’m at? Aren’t I supposed to have any patience to reach the end of, Mother?  I know, I know.  It seems unimportant to you, what I’m doing – what I want to do – having a little difference between them!  You don’t think that. AMANDA: I think you’ve been doing things that you’re ashamed of.  That’s why you act like this.  I don’t believe that you go every night to the movies.  Nobody goes to the movies night after night.  Nobody in their right mind goes to the movies as often as you pretend to.  People don’t go to the movies at nearly midnight, and movies don’t let out at two a.m.  Come to stumbling.  Muttering to yourself like a maniac!  You get three hours’ sleep and then go to work.  Oh, I can picture the way you’re doing down there.  Moping, doping, because you’re in no condition.” This is not typical of how this character acts in this play, so far. She often seems to be nice and wants to help her son to be a better person. However I think she is so demanding and ambitious. I think the reader will see her in negative way even though she try to help her kids. I don’t think any reader would like to be friend with this character because she can influence people to make a bad decision and also will push people to do what they did not want to.

After this part of the play, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this play because they will like to see if the character will change over the play. And maybe she will understand her kids and try to support them in their decision in life. What’s probably going to happen next is that Amanda will lose her kids they will try to go and live somewhere to be independent.