“The Glass Menagerie” emphasizes the value of family, but Tom and Laura do not have a good relationship with their mother. The mother wants to force her each of her kids to be someone they do not want to be. The first and the second sections of “The Glass Menagerie” by Tennessee Williams might leave a reader feeling captive because the play makes you want to read more. It captures our attention and pushes you to read again and again even though some of it is harder English and difficult to understand. An example of this is in paragraphs 20-23. “This is our father who left us a long time ago. He was a telephone man who fell in love with long distances; he gave up his job with the telephone company and skipped the light fantastic out of town.The last we heard of him was a picture postcard from Mazatlan, on the Pacific coast of Mexico, containing a message of two words. Hello – Good-bye!’ and no address. Think the rest of the play will explain itself”. This is a clear introduction of the play because the author motivated the reader to continue to read.

A reader’s questions might start in paragraphs 58-60 where it says: “AMANDA: They knew how to entertain their gentlemen callers. It wasn’t enough for a girl to be possessed of a pretty face and a graceful figure although I wasn’t alighted in either respect. She also needed to have a nimble wit and a tongue to meet all occasions. TOM: What did you talk about? AMANDA: Things of importance going on in the world! Never anything coarse or common or vulgar”. This is important because you can know Amanda’s character without reading the entire play. She is demanding and very ambitious. However, her character is confusing because a reader might ask why she is doing that. 2The more you read it the more you will understand why she wanted this. The author seems to be making the point that this family is controlled by the mother. I guess she wants her kids to live as she wishes and wills them to. 

After this part of the play, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this play because the reader might little be confused and hope that by reading the next scenes he or she will understand more. 3The reader might want to know why Amanda is obsessed with Laura to have a gentleman caller. What’s probably going to happen next is that the mother may understand her kids and allow them to live as they want.