With the current pandemic of COVID-19, our president, Donald Trump has come out to the media to update us various times on the situation.

On Thursday, April 23rd Trump shocked the world in suggesting a use of powerful cleaning agents to possibly cure the Coronavirus.

When asked how we could possibly do this he stated “through injection possibly” and then stated he has always said, “ask the CDC for what we should be doing.”

This isn’t the first time Mr. Trump has recommended an incorrect cure for COVID-19. Last month he recommended hydroxychloroquine as a possible cure for the virus. The result of that ended with the death of an elderly man.

Many companies who provide disinfectants came out to state it is not safe at all to ingest or inject disinfectants of any kind. Doing so could result in hospitalization and possibly even death.

An interesting quote found on The New York Times read, “It has taken a pandemic to expose this movement and the ways that pseudoscience scammers use social media and fear to sell their products.”

Countless numbers of scammers promoting fake cures and/or tests have been found on social media, in person, and busted by the police. Unfortunately, some people look at this period of time and instead of trying to help they decide to take advantage of people and their loved ones.

It is sad because there becomes a gap of distrust between society and the groups putting full effort into creating tests and cures.

1. Orlando Velasco 2 weeks ago

So first of all who’s taking this advice from this man? It doesn’t take much to see that what he is saying is complete crap, clearly you were able to make an article based on the topic and people are dying from misinformation? We already know that Trump will say outrageous things so that’s no surprise. The surprise for me is that there are people who listen to this type of stuff which is common sense. At the end you said it builds distrust between the citizens and the ones making the cure. This is something I find completely baffling even a little hilarious if it’s true. Vaccines take time to make. If someone is so misinformed that they take crazy things to try to get rid of the virus let them.

2. Zane 2 weeks ago

Dear Casey,

I am on par with the way you feel about this situation. Because no leader should invoke a wrong cure, let-alone a harmful one. Which had taken a life. One thing that stood out to me was “This isn’t the first time Mr. Trump has recommended an incorrect cure for COVID-19. Last month he recommended hydroxychloroquine as a possible cure for the virus. The result of that ended with the death of an elderly man.” I think this is outrageous because that drug is used for malaria from mosquitos. And shouldn’t be used for anything else. Another sentence that struck me was “It is sad because there becomes a gap of distrust between society and the groups putting full effort into creating tests and cures.” This stood out to me because it’s very true. Honestly I don’t even know what to believe anymore. About cures, the way it started, or even how it started. Thanks for your writing and I will tune in if there’s another message about trumps foolery.

3. Amber 3 weeks ago

Hi Casey, I agree, no one should be injecting themselves with disinfectant, but people also take information very wildly. He was being sarcastic and the media took it way out of proportion. People will blame Trump for anything, just like they tried blaming the man who “drank” fish cleaner on him when it was his wife who murdered him. But I agree, no one should be selling fake cures.

4. Erica 3 weeks ago

This is a very insightful article, Casey. I had no idea how significant the number of people selling fake “cures” for the virus was. I knew people would try to profit off of people’s fears, but the New York Times article you cited really explained it well. In the future, I hope to read more on actual CDC recommendations as well as research being done towards a treatment for later dates. Great job!
    -erica s