Dear Oakland Citizens who are not following Shelter in Place:

Why are people afraid of coronavirus? Coronavirus is a virus that started to worry people in the United States, on March 13th is when almost every place was closed to prevent the spread of coronavirus. While people don’t obey the restriction of going outside without using masks or gloves, more and more people get infected exponentially each day. The community that is mostly terrified about coronavirus are people that are in their 3rd age, meaning people that are about 60 and over because they heard on the news that they are the ones that get mostly affected by the virus. Another community that is getting affected by the virus are people that are trying to help people that have been infected, which are people that are in the medical field and essential workers. They are the ones that need face masks for themselves and their patients. The problem that they are having is that, because of the coronavirus freaking people out, the people started buying a plethora of items, including face masks that people in the medical field could use so face masks are running out. In fact, every community is actually stressing about the virus for various reasons. People should start realizing that some of the activities that the community does are affecting the world and empowering the spread of coronavirus. Based on the survey and research, some people are afraid of the coronavirus because they don’t know how it could affect their lives and how it spreads.

Some people don’t recognize how the virus affects them. Some people also don’t know that they could have the virus and not have any symptoms and spread the virus. A senior researcher at UCL(University College London) who has been studying about coronavirus wrote  about some people not showing symptoms of coronavirus. Jasmina Panovska-Griffiths states, “A recent study, published in the British Medical Journal, suggested that 78% of people with COVID-19 have no symptoms”(Panovska-Griffiths). This makes people dismal and terrified because they don’t know if they could be next to someone that has the virus but doesn’t show symptoms and get infected. People are also afraid of this because some people think they might have the virus and infect the people they love.

Another cause that helps the virus interfere with how quarantine is supposed to work is that some people don’t know how the virus could spread or all the ways the virus could spread. In an article about how coronavirus spreads, by Nicoletta Lanese – Staff Writer, she wrote about an interview that Mr. Ristenpart, a researcher, had about coronavirus and how it spreads. Lanese writes, “Tracking how the aerosols move in different environments, when subjected to different air flows, would also provide key clues about the risk of transmission, he noted. For instance, a turbulent air flow could carry an infectious cloud far away from the original speaker, but could also dilute the viral concentration to a relatively harmless level”, he wrote. – Mr. Ristenpart “(Lanese). If coronavirus can be spread through speech and infect someone else, then the droplets that fall from someone infected to a material, the material wont get infected because its a material and a material cant get infected, but if a different person touches that material, then that person that will get infected. This is another reason people are afraid of coronavirus. 

I gave a survey about coronavirus to the Oakland community.  23 people took the survey. I gave the survey to gather information about the community and their experience with coronavirus.

Figure 1: How does the coronavirus spread? n=23(number of people that responded)

Life Academy students were asked how they thought that coronavirus spread. More than 50% answered that it spread by respiratory droplets. The two correct answers are by touching each other and respiratory droplets.

Figure 2: Who are most affected by the coronavirus? n=23(number of people that responded)

More than 80% of the Life Academy students believe that the most affected by coronavirus are people that are 65 and older. Everybody gets affected by the coronavirus in different ways, but people 65+ get more affected with their health.

Figure 3: What is the best way to avoid getting the coronavirus? n=23(number of people that responded) y-axis=answers of how to avoid coronavirus   x-axis=number of people who answered

More than 90% percent of the students at Life Academy think that every strategy above is a way to avoid getting coronavirus.

Based on the survey and the responses from the students at Life Academy, some of the community still needs to learn about coronavirus, about the strategies to avoid coronavirus, how it spreads, the symptoms, and how it affects people.

Aim #1: Alert, prepare, and educate people about coronavirus

We can use the tactic of social change to alert people of the dangers that there could be if they are next to people that are infected but are asymptomatic. Also, to educate people of how coronavirus spreads and how it could be avoided. We would use instagram or snapchat because we know that people use social media more than they did before coronavirus. The challenge would be for people to see my information in social media.

Aim #2: Help end coronavirus faster

We can also use the tactic of protest to motivate people to help end coronavirus and not empower it by not following the instructions of wearing a mask and gloves and the rules of being in shelter in place. We would post posters for those people who are outside and not following rules and we could use social media as a form of protest too to show even more people of why they should follow the rules. The challenge would be for people to not care and not follow the rules. 

Aim #3: If we were not in shelter in place(help families and essential workers)

We could use the tactic of Direct service in this plan so that we could help sick people or families or families that have lost loved ones and to help essential workers with the masks they need. The challenge would be that we wont have the necessary items. 

Hope this document helps Oakland Citizens who are not following Shelter in Place. Please help this document go worldwide so that people could use this information to help themselves, people they love, and their community to fight this virus and put an end to what is the human enemy right now, fear and coronavirus.

To make sure that the aims worked, we will survey the community again to observate the changes that have been done.

With hope,

Cesar Sanchez

Work Cited

Lanese, N. (2020, April 07). COVID-19 may spread through breathing and talking – but we don’t know how much. Retrieved April 18, 2020, from https://www.livescience.com/covid19-coronavirus-transmission-through-speech.html

This article talks about the way that coronavirus spreads. It has myriad reports and interviews about people who research or study about coronavirus. This article passes the CRAAP test.

Panovska-Griffiths, J. (2020, April 16). Coronavirus: BMJ study suggests 78% don’t show symptoms – here’s what that could mean. Retrieved April 18, 2020, from https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-bmj-study-suggests-78-dont-show-symptoms-heres-what-that-could-mean-135732

This document is about the percentages of people that may be asymptomatic. Which means people that may not have symptoms of coronavirus. This document also has information about coronavirus testes and how many people have been infected. This document also passes the CRAAP test.

1. Louis 1 month ago

Hello Cesar,
    I really liked your post because you provided information to support what you were talking about. I especially liked how you provided information from a Google form to school that some people were educated on the matter.
    Here is a link you may want to look at:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/us/coronavirus-education-distance-learning-challenges/index.html

Cesar 1 month ago

Thank you for your appreciation Louis, I am really glad that you enjoyed it and hope that you can also help out with this hard situation.