In today’s world we are very quick to judge and label someone as “special needs” just because their brains process information differently. Most times immedietly after diagnosis kids are placed on medication and put in special needs classes. What people don’t realize is that this process of immediate medication and alienation of being put in special needs class, fosters an idea of division among them. These conditions of ADD/ ADHD are extremely manageable conditions and even come with many  benefits. 

One huge benefit to ADD/ADHD is something called “Hyperfixation” Meaning that people with this condition often become hyperfused on one certain aspect. I personally have this aspect. There are topics that I will spend hours upon hours learning and educating myself on. This can be beneficial because in many times this hyperfixation can be turned into a career. My hyperfixation is the criminal justice system as well as criminal psychology. These are topics that I can surround myself with and very rarely get bored with them. But in this instance my hyperfixation can be extremely beneficial to my life, because I wish to make a career out of my interests. 

Another benefit is an increase in creativity and spontaneity. Meaning that people with ADD/ADHD can traditionally think outside the box and in turn tend to excel in the arts. For example, many actors have this condition. Such as, Adam Levine, Whoopi Goldberg, and Justin Timberlake. One could argue that because these celebrities have this condition it has greatly benefited their creative fields of work.  

In conclusion, society has built up a stigma around a manageable condition and labeled it. ADD/ADHD has been labeled as special needs or less intelligent when in all reality it has many benefits and to manage it takes a little more organization and at times medication.

1. Yadira 2 months ago

The article, “breaking the stigma around ADD/ADHD” Gracie the author talks about how society has labeled and sees people with ADHD/ADD as special-needs but the difference is the ADHD is most commonly controllable and even has some benefits to it. ADHD is the capacity to not be able to focus but there is hyper fixation. Where someone with ADHD is able to absorb large amounts of information about a subject with no problem, this can lead to a possible career in that field.
    As a person who has struggled a lot with The focusing aspect of learning, I have learned how society is cruel to those who are different in the classroom. Although I have never been diagnosed with this disorder but I can still comprehend the struggles of the way society has treated people with disorders. I understand how the labeling can get to someone and how frustrating it is for people to assume things about disorders because i myself struggle with them but the most important and best thing we can do is try to educate those who want to be educated and not waste our time on those who don’t, like i for one have learned things that i didn’t know before about people who have hyperactive disorder and will continue to, in hopes to make someone who goes through this life a little easier.

2. Yadira 2 months ago

Dear Gracie:
    I understand and agree with your post “Breaking the Stigma Around ADD/ADHD
    ” because society is cruel to those that are in the slightest different then the “norm” and i understand they way you feel about the labels society gives.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ ADD/ADHD has been labeled as special needs or less intelligent when in all reality it has many benefits and to manage it takes a little more organization and at times medication.” I think this is true because i’ve seen it happen from places like the classroom to the internet and even in public.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you’ve written about an important topic.
    Yadira.