As Coronavirus spreads in the world, people become more and more serious about it. How to protect ourselves and others from it has become a hot topic. Quarantine and social distancing worked well in the past few weeks, however, what if we are going to public places like Walmarts? Face masks seemed like the thing that would solve the problem.

Two voices arise, while CDC and WHO is announcing “If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection”(who.int 2020), Chinese government required everyone to wear face masks when going out of homes. Most people accepted the idea that a face mask was not necessary at first. But after seeing the rising infection rate in the US and the infection rate in China went down to zero, People became more aware of the necessity of face masks.

Jeremy Howard states “transmission largely occurs in the first seven days after infection, when people are largely asymptomatic”(theguardian.com 2020). This contradicts WHO’s suggestion that you only need face masks when symptoms exist. Therefore, for everyone’s health and safety, it’s best to put on the masks when going outside.

1. Zhonghua Mao 2 months ago

It is a great article, I think that most of American do not see this a improtant thing