Recreational marijuana is a severe issue spread in the world, especially more than half of the people have tried marijuana in the United States, however, it is only legalized in the 11 states, including Alaska, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington. Additionally, from the report, close to 600,000 people in the US are annually arrested for marijuana possessing and taking. 

Marijuana has been a controversial issue since always. In the article, Should Recreational Marijuana Be Legal?, it mentioned, “Pro 1: Marijuana legalization boosts the economy; …; Pro 7: Crime goes down when marijuana is legalized; …; Con 2: Legalizing marijuana increases use by teens, with harmful results; …; Con 4: Marijuana is addictive, and dependence on the drug will increase with legalization; …; Con 7: Marijuana use harms the brain, and legalization will increase mental health problems.” Some believe that marijuana is for the entertainment which will not cause any severe problem to our community, Nevertheless, some report that marijuana will affect people’s behaviors, even harm their developments in any aspect.

In the article, Recreational Marijuana FAQ, it stated, “‘Marijuana has a range of effects that vary based on the person and the potency,’ says Christian Hopfer, MD, associate professor of psychiatry in the division of substance dependence at the University of Colorado. The more marijuana you use, the longer you use it, and the more THC it contains, the more effects you’ll feel.” In conclusion, marijuana can affect the development of brains, such as the ability to think and solve problems, coordination, reaction time, judgment, memory, and mood, which also causes mental health disorders if severe. As well as, it is possible that marijuana is both physically and psychologically addictive.

After online researching, marijuana harms the user physically and mentally and also encourages teens to use if legalizing the policy, which will cause any damages and accidents, like traffic deaths from driving while being hyper, environmental damage and crime. We cannot forbid those who needed on the medical aspect but legalized marijuana for recreation is still a social issue in our society.

1. Kutay 2 months ago

Hi Danny,

I really agree with your ideas that you have shared in your post. I really like how you clearly explained the results of it and being legal in some states and supported your ideas with datas. You may want to look at this website too(https://medlineplus.gov/druguseandaddiction.html). Good job.

Kutay.