A shocking study done by the National Low Income Housing Coalition found that” the average minimum wage worker working 40 hours a week can with cost afford a 2 bedroom apartment in a total of zero counties nationwide.” Additional studies done by Harvard found that more than half of all renters were spending more than 30% of their wage on their rent and this is what they consider being cost burdened. With median wages being far below median housing costs people turned to the one obvious solution and that is to build more houses. This sounds simple but due to government regulations, rising prices and the favoring of home owners rather than renters this solution presented more challenging.

The first main problem is how the federal government is subsidizing middle and upperclass home owners much more than they do public housing funds and community development block grants. This is the start of this issue becasue of this blatant favoring affordable housing development can never even get off the ground in the first place. The next big issue thta is faced even if they had funding it is now difficult to even build affordable housing becasue of the high cost of materials and labor.“Lumbar alone has had extreme fluctuations rising to almost double its cost in 2008.

Even if we solve the problems of material and labor costs affordable housing projects are under very strict zoning codes that limit everything from the height of buildings to how many parking spots it can have. The last significant problem that is faced is that generally affordable housing is pushed away from the high job volume areas such as the big city causing an increase in the issue of transportation. This is clearly a growing problem that needs to be addressed so that communities can grow together. The solutions need to come from regulations and the federal government imposing more subsidization of affordable housing as well as possibly price ceilings on construction materials.