The coronavirus is going to permanently change the world. It already has, and will continue to do so until the pandemic ends. We are right in the middle of it right now, but once it is all over I believe the impact it will have will significantly change the 2020’s and potentially even beyond. Think of what we are encouraged to do right now. Recommendations for social distancing and constant hand washing have made us more perceptive to where the virus could be and who has it. Who is to say those habits will not carry over to the post-pandemic world? The virus will change the economy, government, our lifestyles, and even the way we think. This change will last.

Everywhere you look there seems to be some warning to social distance, to not touch your face, etc. I fully support these, as the constant reinforcement will help people follow them and end the pandemic quicker. The sheer amount of warnings, though, may make people more fearful in the future of coming in contact with someone. A lingering sense of danger from being in the presence of someone could carry over. We may all be extremely aware of our actions and who we come into contact with. Deborah Tannen, in a Politico survey, says, “How quickly that awareness recedes will be different for different people, but it can never vanish completely for anyone who lived through this year. It could become second nature to recoil from shaking hands or touching our faces.” The way our community and society as a whole assembles will change in a way where distance is valued more. 

Another massive change the world will see and has been seeing already is the economy. Lockdowns and orders to stay home across the globe has brought the world market to a screeching halt. No one can buy anything if businesses are shut down, and they are suffering because of it. Normally the government can spend more as a stimulus, but this situation is abnormal. People cannot go out and spend money. To save it, we may need to change how it operates. A BBC article states, “At its core, the economy is the way we take our resources and turn them into the things we need to live. Looked at this way, we can start to see more opportunities for living differently that allow us to produce less stuff without increasing misery.” Those that cannot work from home may see a change where the economy produces less because very little is being consumed. None of these changes would be easy, but the coronavirus has created a new world.