Researchers say that COVID-19 has been rapidly spreading due to the movements of people with no or very mild symptoms. Those who are unaware that they have the virus continually move around especially. That is why social distancing is so important when it comes to combating coronavirus. The main question concerning health officials was how has the coronavirus been spreading so quickly around the globe and why is this happening even with increasing travel bans and restrictions?

UC San Francisco epidemiologist Jeff Martin says “Social distancing will be the key phrase in the days and weeks to come. The term simply refers to avoiding close contact with other individuals in order to avoid catching the virus yourself and to avoid passing it on.”  Many factors contribute to the so-called reproductive number of the new coronavirus, which describes roughly how many people an infected individual will go on to infect. Which is estimated to range from 1.4 to 6.5, with an average of 3.3. The higher this reproductive number the faster the virus will spread. Some factors that affect the reproductive number include how inherently contagious the virus is, how susceptible people are to infection, the number of contacts between people, and lastly the duration of the contact.

Social distancing in daily life means banning large gatherings, encouraging telecommuting and closing schools, and no crowded public transit if possible. Social activities are now discouraged and if you are 60 or overstaying home, in general, is recommended. According to the President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America is that everyone should avoid social gatherings of more than 10 people and avoid eating or drinking out at restaurants, bars, or food courts. If a person in your household is tested positive for coronavirus your whole family should stay at home and not go anywhere. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/why-social-distancing-is-key-in-containing-the-new-coronavirus#Asymptomatic-cases-may-transmit-the-virus

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/03/416906/why-experts-are-urging-social-distancing-combat-coronavirus-outbreak