Since 2008, more than 72 percent of Americans have used some sort of social media platform such as Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. There are multiple reasons why society uses social media, it makes people more involved with things going on around the world, it also gives people the opportunity to speak freely on issues, or anything they please. Social media has a lot of positive effects, for example schooling. The internet and social media platforms can help students with their school work by gaining any information they need online.

Social media can also have a lot of negative effects on society. One huge negative for social media is cyber bullying. Cyber bullying is the most common form of bullying because it is easier to bully someone online than physically. Another major effect that social media can have on society is a decrease is productivity levels and social skills. Social media can become addicting for some people, the more people that are on their phones the less face to face interactions they will have. The decrease in productivity is another factor due to laziness. People will start to lose motivation on performing daily tasks, and other tasks that involve physical activity.

1. Carter 2 months ago

Hi Matt,

I think that your post is really good and informational. It also spreads the awareness of cyberbullying and how there are negatives to social media.

Here is a link to some more information on cyberbullying that I think you might be interested in. https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/cyberbullying.html

Have a good one!
    -Carter