Dear Representative Ocasio-Cortez,

I am surprised by your opinion about the new generation it’s a “badass” on your Instagram video. Your opinion describe the differences between the current generation that how take action to get involved in the issues that people face in the world today. They tries to find help from other people to advocate for justice. They create different organizations where people can find refuge and help about the issues.

One thing you said that stands out for me is; “They actually take time to read and understand our history, the history of the labor movement, civil rights, history of racial struggles, history of economics, history of the United States, history of colonialism.” I think this is powerful because you noticed that young people are activated on the issues that happen in the community and try to solve them using complex strategies. It’s a good idea that they have the knowledge about their rights that they are supposed to have and they advocate for them.

I totally agree with you when you say that people have the power to change our world and that they should start in their communities. You say; “Let me tell you something: you are the government! Like, as a democracy, we the people mean you. You are as a voter you are the government too.” You are saying that people can make change by getting involved in the community.  I also agree with your opinion about the significance of voting. It’s important to know about our right to vote, and to raise our voice. Our opinion counts. It’s our government.

Recently I was looking at videos by young activists, and one of them is a good example of what I’m saying here. I’m especially inspired by the video by Edna Gonzalez at “March for Our Lives” Washington, D.C. because she is an advocate for her community of South Los Angeles. I noticed on this video that there are good arguments about why the government does not do anything to change the situation. She tried to motivate people on her way. For example she said “It is normal to see flowers honoring the lives of black and brown youth that have lost their lives to a bullet. We need to tackle the root causes of the issues we face and come to understand how to resolve them.” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BinNvKznltA) In this quote, she is trying to give the message through a speech because she wants people to take action and force government to change the laws about racial injustices that still exist in the everyday. She wants news changes on the streets and education with security. She wants justice in her community.

This is basically saying that people are not surprised that the violation and some issues that happen just because they are adapting their life like that. If people don’t take action, justice can not have value to protect people living there.

I’ve also been learning about the Civil Rights Movement where all people who suffer from segregation are protesting for their rights. The challenge of this protest was reduce the racism that people do it. For example; “Representative John Lewis Called “good trouble” this mean that advocated for our rights can have a result based on the challenges that we put on progress. Young people were moved to fight for their rights at the time.

I think the history is a great example to show and know about our past. Something you said in your video: “I don’t think they’re too delicate at all. I think that they’re badass. I think that young people are more informed and dynamic than their predecessors.” I agree with you here, because young people have more knowledge that happened in the past and happens everyday on the news and also social media. This a tool that we can informated more about the world.

I watched many videos based on people who advocate for some issues in our communities. I find one that it’s interesting to me (Young Activists on Why They March |Teen Vogue- Youtube). This video is based on the young women that advocate for justice and explain why they march. They start with marches and speeches in Florida. According to the case that happened on February 14 2018 in Florida was a school shooting that caused the death of 17 people.  They want protection of gun violence and that the government takes action to change the law.  

This video has some points and evidence that can change the community without gun violence. But if the government don’t stop this situation, more people can be in danger. Some reason of this cases are the racism, discrimination and some stupid ideologies that people have and make bad things to others persons. All people want and need to live with freedom and safety in any place. 
I feel motivated by his video because I’m a young woman and young people are involved in the issues that happened in our community. Especially one phrase that they say was (It’s about damn time someone did) this phrase is short but has an answer that they advocated for their community. We can change the world to take action and the government helps us to change the violence. 
Thanks for taking the time to read my letter. I look forward to seeing what you do or say next. I hope you continue to motivate young people with your arguments.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stand Up Generation by Celines is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.