Should Schools Be Allowed to Limit Students’ Online Speech?

Schools should not be allowed to limit students’ online speech because it infringes first amendment under free speech, Another reason is that there are already reasonable limitations but what a student does out of school should not concern the school system. My last reason is social media is already blocked on school internet devices thus no worry about the kind of usage going on their devices. A student’s first amendment should not be restricted because of someone’s feelings if they feel offended, everyone will always disagree and people have to learn to deal with it.

In a students time off of school no many can say that they have been cyberbullied or have bullied someone online, but if they can it’s a very rare and small percentage. Document A is a graph-based on a “Random sample of 10-18-year-olds from large school districts in southern US ” which has separate bars for females and males. Only 25.1 percent out of 2162 females have ever been cyberbullied, which was the highest percentage spike on the graph. About a quarter out of 2162 females have ever been cyberbullied, that’s a small number for a school to use that to make reasonable limitations and changes to what students are able to do. Out of these 4374 people surveyed only 7.7 percent have ever had a mean hurtful picture posted online about them and that’s combined. Unlike the case of K.K. v. Berkeley, which was a student creating a “hate website” for Musselman High School Principal, cases like these are rare and should define how the regulations are changed for all districts.

Teachers, although they are human beings and should be treated with respect should know what they are getting into. Document B is based on a Survey of British School Teachers out of the 15.1 percent of teachers that said they have been cyberbullied 41.9 percent said they don’t know who the perpetrator was. There is no number of teachers surveyed and what type of school this was, but they do provide on how the teachers chose to deal with being “victims of cyberbullying”. 38.6 said it had no effect which was at a tie with teachers who chose to say it affected their self-esteem and confidence. Teachers with more dedication to their profession will not allow a few rude comments to change the way they are.   

What a student says online should stay online, invading a students privacy is never okay, its like if a student stalks a teachers profile its unfortable and plus most teachers don’t accept student followers. Why? Because they have a life outside their classroom. Document F defends student’s rights to keeping what happens online, online. Schools should not have the ability to dictate what students do in their free time, especially when it’s such a sensitive topic like the first amendment. During the hearing it was stated, “lawmakers have forgotten that bullying has been around since long before the Internet” the speaker was trying to convey the fat the bullying has been here long before the internet, it also goes on to say that there are also other forms bullying can “portable” such as “face to face, third parties, by telephone, across airwaves”. Bullying isn’t new there’s just another way to do it and schools aren’t going to such extremes to fix the old way of bullying, why should the prohibit students first amendment.

Schools should not be allowed to limit students’ online speech because it basically takes no notice of the 1 first amendment and why it was placed in the first place. What a student does out of school should not concern the school system . Plus, social media is already blocked on school devices which should be their only concern. The first amendment has so much value here in the US because you are able to state your opinion on what you want and if we continue to make restrictions on it where would we draw the line?

Photo by mohamed_hassan (Pixabay)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Schools Be Allowed to Limit Students’ Online Speech? by 402176 is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.