What is posted online can reduce others’ confidence and self-esteem. It may also result in suicides. What students post online can affect people dramatically even if those were not the intentions. We just never know how people are going to react to certain things. Something that might not be a big deal to one, others can take it as an offense.

Students’ online speech should be limited because there are federal anti-discrimination laws. These are basic laws that have been around that don’t allow people to make and discrimination comments towards any race, color, national origin, sex, or anyone with any form of disability.

In document A there is a sample of how much people have been cyberbullied in their life, past 30 days, or if they have bullied others. Although there are these laws that prevent discrimination it can still happen and this is why students post online should be limited to prevent any further damage.

Students’ online speech should be limited because what is posted online can reduce the confidence of others. When people post negative comments online it might make people think differently about themselves. Cyberbullying is not only limited to teens but adults can also be hurt based on what is posted online.

Document B shows a survey done by British school teachers and the results were that 15.1 percent of them was a victim of cyberbullying by a mobile phone, email, or over the internet. 38.6 percent of the people that were a part of the survey said the cyberbullying had an effect on their confidence and self-esteem. A lot of these people were affected negatively by someone who was cyberbullying them. Therefore what students post online should be limited because people they are posting about can be harmed and their confidence levels might go down making them think they are less than others.

Posting negative comments online about others may have the power to cause suicide. Although these may not be the intentions of the post we never really know how others might take it.

In document D a case where a student made a profile online and made a post about a staff member who had students talking about the profile throughout the class, creating a distraction. When other students find out about any post that has been made about someone it is human nature to be curious about it and start talking about what is being posted. The person who the post is about may feel as if they are being attacked by everyone and all at once creating harmful thoughts in their head because they think they are not worth it, resulting is suicide.

This is why what students post online should be monitored. Students should have a limit as to what they are posting online because of federal antidiscrimination laws, the confidence and self-esteem of others can be reduced due to what is posted, and it can also end with the suicide of the person that is being bullied.

\

Image: Monitoring of school teaching online. by shixart1985 on 2020-03-15 13:13:26