There is a hashtag that has become more relevant on Instagram called, #fitspiration. Within #fitspiration videos and photos of extremely fit people are on display. The captions are either inspirational quotes or body updates. The goal of #fitspiration is to motivate an individual to get an ideal body through both diet and extreme workouts. Is this sending the right message?

A study done by Leeds Beckett University looked at whether this method was “sending a healthy message” to the people who looked at these posts. The answer was not necessarily. The messages the study found was that, “(a) Fit is sexy, (b) A “fit” physique requires commitment and self-regulation, (c) Your choices define you, (d) Pleasure and perseverance through pain, (e) Battle of the selves: You versus you, and (f) Here’s to us! A celebration of a community.” Majority of these messages are wrong. You are sexy no matter what, being fit does not define that. Not having what society considers fit but having the body you want requires commitment and self-regulation. There is no battle between yourself, you are only building on what you have now. 

Some people do not have the knowledge about diet and exercise to discern right from wrong about these posts. Unfortunately, “This can make people adopt dietary plans that are overly restrictive and otherwise unhealthy.” A balanced diet means, “half of a person’s plate should consist of fruits and vegetables. The other half should be made up of grains and protein. They recommend accompanying each meal with a serving of low-fat dairy or another source of the nutrients found in dairy.” People should look up if the things about diet and exercise they are being told on Instagram is correct before they try it out. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 #fitspiration by Cora is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Aria 2 weeks ago

Hi Cora,

I agree with you that this trending hashtag can be sending the wrong message to those persons who are partaking in the challenge. This is because they could start thinking of their weight in a negative light as this website elaborates on whether it could be harmful versus healthy: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewarnold/2018/11/26/fitspiration-on-social-media-is-it-helping-or-hurting-your-health-goals/#6ac15bb847f0.

Aria Handlon