Speech can take form in many ways, a few of them being verbal or through the use of the internet. Online speech should not be limited for various reasons some being, this shelters students from the real world, goes against our first amendment rights, and takes away from possible positive attributes of social media. 

To elaborate more on how limiting online speech can shelter students from the real world it is seen in Doc B that a fraction of teachers that were surveyed from British schools are still faced with online harassment and bullying. To be more exact this document says that 15.1% have been a victim of cyberbullying by noble phone, email, or over the internet. Although this number is not big it doesn’t mean that bullying isn’t still taking place after students leave highschool. For this reason we should not limit online speech because doing this will give students the false hope of bullying through the use of the internet not exercising after highschool.

One of the biggest reasons as to why online speech should not be limited is because this goes against our first amendment right of free speech. This amendment allows students to say as they please even if it’s not right morally it is still legally okay. Document D does a good job at giving an example of a student who first amended me to rights being violated when it mentions, “Nunemacher admitted that the talking in class was not a unique incident…” What this piece of evidence does is provides an example of how online speech doesn’t cause as big of a distraction as people make it seem, rumbling already takes place in the classroom. 

One of the last reasons that students’ online speech should not be limited is because this takes away from possible positive attributes that the internet can provide. This can be seen through the use of opinions that students post on social media apps and to take this away is stripping them of spreading positivity. This is seen in Document F when it is stated, “The internet presents new ways for young people to communicate–but it does not inherently increase the dangers that have been present in human society for centuries…” This piece of evidence helps the audience understand that Bullying does not only happen in the form of social media. Bullying has happened way before the internet so taking away online speech will only stop students from positive things from the internet. 

Students online speech should not be limited because this shelters students from the real world, goes against our first amendment rights, and takes away from possible positive attributes of social media.