School systems vary in each state, many schools have behavior issues, attendance issues, and low school wide scores. Though a public school in Albuquerque is experimenting with 4-H programs to fix these common issues found in schools.

The problem, as described by Stephanie Treadwell, the school principle of Collet Park Elementary, is that students are not retaining information being taught in schools. She believes that information is retained better through experiences. ” We realized that new information is retained when its connected to knowledge. The majority of our students live in poverty’s and have not had a wide variety of experiences to link classroom to learning to” says Treadwell. So that’s when the collaboration with New Mexico State University COllege of agricultureal, Consumer and environmental Scinces began

Image: 4H woodworking by Bob n Renee on 2006-01-28 15:38:23