It’s no secret that the use of nicotine products has skyrocketed among teens in the past ten years. Although vaping is considered a “healthier alternative” to smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco, what are the negative effects of using these products at such a young age, is there a solution, and what are the potential outcomes.

The popular e-cigarette company known as Juul claims on their website that they, “envision a world where fewer adults use cigarettes.” The company has recently come under fire for its considerable popularity amongst people from the age of 13-21. Because of this, the age to buy tobacco products nationally rose from 18 to 21. Along with this, the FDA banned the company from selling flavors of pods that are “targeted” towards teens like mango, mint, and fruit medley. However, this didn’t stop other companies from hopping on the bandwagon.

Recently countless new companies have arisen that sell disposable, e-cigarettes that have a significantly larger variety of fruity flavors, and although they are more difficult to acquire with the age restrictions, kids can still get their hands on them.

Healthline says that vaping can be harmful to your body in multiple ways. The liquid used in e-cigarettes can release tiny aerosols into your heart and lungs that can clog important arteries, veins, etc. It can also damage the teeth, gums, and cause cancer. Although many of the harmful chemicals that are in cigarettes are not in vapes, there are many other dangerous chemicals in the new products.

Although the government has made changes that have helped reduce teen nicotine use, they are still far from solving the problem.

Image Credit:
Link:  https://urinedrugtesthq.com/blog/
Credit Name: Urine Drug Test

CC BY-SA 4.0 Teen Vaping by Maggie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tania Arellano 3 weeks ago

Dear Maggie
    I am surprised about your post “Teen Vaping” because you provide me health information about vaping, of what are the bad consequences if i vape.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “vaping can be harmful to your body in multiple ways.” I think this is very important, because every human is different and we never know what would be the reaction of your body.
    Have you read this article called “ Vaping Rises Among Teens’ ‘, I thought you might be interested in this because it talks about how much it increased the vaping on teens, and how their body system changes through the process. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I really liked the way you go into a subject and you provide the positive and negative impacts on it.

2. Cindy 3 weeks ago

Hi Maggie,
    Thank you for Your information, I agree that the government has published more and more laws for stoping teen vaping, but it is not enough. Vaping is bad, but there is no way we can stop it, the only way is people themselves should be aware.
    Cindy Huang

3. 103540 3 weeks ago

Dear Maggie:
    I am moved about your post, “Teen Vaping,” because vaping can also harm people just as bad as cigarettes. Companies are also making someones addiction worst by making flavors that taste good.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: “Although many of the harmful chemicals that are in cigarettes are not in vapes, there are many other other dangerous chemicals in the new products.” I think this is good because some people think that just because vaping does not have tobacco that it can not hurt you but their are still chemicals that can affect your body. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next,because you created a way for others to think about what can affect your body. I feel that you are good at making a topic that people can argue or think about.
    Jasmine Perez

4. Jamie 1 month ago

Dear Maggie,
    I really enjoyed reading your article on vaping. I picked this one because i liked the photo you chose. You did a good job getting my attention. I also agree with you, vaping is a really big problem among teens. I liked the way you used a lot of facts in your writing. You should share this with other people, like maybe your mayor or something. I look forward to hearing more from you.

5. Juan 1 month ago

Dear Maggie,

I am interested in your post because… Teen Vaping is something that is very major that is happening in the world right now.Teens should read this post because it is something that can help with any vaping addiction.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “envision a world where fewer adults use cigarettes.” I think this is interesting, because… Its showing that Juul is targeting teens and younger adults

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time with a friend that was actually very into vaping and smoking.I would tell him to quit because it will come back to haunt him and ruin his body.He failed a drug test and was caught and after we talked about it he quit to better himself.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because… This post was very interesting and can help some people