With spring approaching, many people are getting ready to take care of their gardens again but there’s something else we also need to take care of. Pollinators such as bees, moths, and bats can benefit from our attention. Depending on what you’re trying to attract there are some plants that help specific animals but overall you should focus on a wide variety of native plants. Emily Kuhns explains, “You want to have a variety of flowering plants that bloom throughout the growing season. This will provide a regular and diverse source of nectar and nutrients for pollinators. Native plants are the best to use because they evolved alongside our native pollinators — they were made for each other.” Other tips include providing shallow water or water baths and avoiding using pesticides. Feeders and food can be made to attract more pollinators such as butterflies and hummingbirds. Once you’ve made a feeder using a jar, tape, sponge, and wire or twine, hang it upside down and “butterflies will suck the nectar through the cotton or sponge.” There are many other ways you can support pollinators but these are some ways you can help them from home. 

1. Jamie 4 months ago

Dear Emily,

I am interested about your post because I have a lot of pollinators in my neighborhood. One sentence that stands out me is “You want to have a variety of flowering plants that bloom throughout the growing season. This will provide a regular and diverse source of nectar and nutrients for pollinators. Native plants are the best to use because they evolved alongside our native pollinators — they were made for each other.” This stands out to me because I didn’t ever think about how the native plants grow along side the pollinators .