The articles I was reading were mostly about how separating children from their parents causes them to act out more in the future and hurt them and others.

Reading these articles has taught me why it’s important to keep families together and not separate them. Children from the ages 1-16 who get separated from their parents tend to become more violent and depressed.

They start to grow up with the mindset that their parents didn’t fight hard enough for them. This leads them to start to do violent acts to attract attention because they didn’t have their family around. 

Most of these kids when they get separated from their parents the government doesn’t even take good care of them. I was reading an article about one person who got separated from his family due to ICE and they said that the kids get treated like criminals.

Most of these kids aren’t being fed and most of these kids don’t even have a bed to sleep on and it’s hard enough for these kids because they don’t even have their family around them. In most of these detention facilities, they are very crowded and are getting more crowded daily.

This can lead to starvation and illness due to the lack of food and beds in these facilities?  

Check out my collection of resources: The Trauma of Separating Children at the Border

CC BY-SA 4.0 What happens to children separated from their parents? by Amani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Erick R 4 weeks ago

Dear Amani,
    I loved this article very much because most of what you said was true. In paragraph 1 it quotes, “Reading these articles has taught me why it’s important to keep families together and not separate them. Children from the ages 1-16 who get separated from their parents tend to become more violent and depressed. They start to grow up with the mindset that their parents didn’t fight hard enough for them. This leads them to start to do violent acts to attract attention because they didn’t have their family around”. My parents did seperate when I was little so I did get depressed at times and I did tend to be bad, but not the BAD bad kid of bad, because I know being more than bad is not the way, and I want to be a good example for my little brothers because I love them so much. I want to be a good example for my mom and stepdad as well because they’ve done so much for me and raised me right.