In the article, Meatless Meat is Becoming Mainstream-and its Sparking a Backlash, by Kelsey Piper she talks about the possible negative effects of plant based meat substitutes. Piper is offering a counter to the claim that these new plant based meat options such as Beyond Meat or Impossible may not be as healthy they seem. She covers that, yes indeed these substitutes are better for the environment and in some regards healthier than actual beef, but they still come with their own downsides. Piper goes over many of the myths that surround plant based meat and provides further information on these myths. For one they are highly processed foods that contain unnatural ingredients but she covers that this entirely depends on the ingredients used in this process. Yogurt is highly processed yet is widely known as a “healthy” food. She also covers the issue if these ‘fake’ meats are high in GMOs, but later explains they actually don’t contain any and there is no evidence that GMOs pose any health hazards. The health factors of meatless meat are entirely dependent on the different places that they are served, for example they are now available at Burger King and will come with all the negative effects such as it being high calorie and greasy while they are also served at higher end restaurants with a cleaner product. 

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/10/7/20880318/meatless-meat-mainstream-backlash-impossible-burger

1. Erick 4 months ago

Hey Sam! Nice article! In this article it quotes, “She covers that, yes indeed these substitutes are better for the environment and in some regards healthier than actual beef, but they still come with their own downsides”. I feel like even when something is good, it always has to have a downside to it. That’s just life. I feel like the meat substitutes are in fact healthier than regular meat though. I do think that it is better to eat substitute meat than regular meat because us eating regular meat means that we are killing animals. So yes, substitute meat is in fact better than eating regular meat.