While doing research regarding the issue of childhood hunger in the U.S., I came across an article titled, “Why Can’t America Solve the Hunger Problem?” that noted how food banks may not be as beneficial as we presume to the ongoing issue of hunger in America. About 40 million people a year in the U.S. rely on food bank services to locate their next meal. However, the article notes that food banks have become largely institutionalized, and dependent on the food industry because billions of pounds of food are being distributed through food banks each year. Additionally, the food industry is dependent on food stamps; Kraft, for example, states that one-sixth of their sales are food stamp related. Therefore, these industries utilize the hungry for their business, instead of focusing on solving the issue of hunger. Food banks seem to contribute to an endless cycle of hunger. They give people food for a month or two, but after those months are up, these people are back at the food bank. Food banks should rather provide people with tools to make a liveable wage for their families, but of course, this is at risk to the business. Ultimately the goal is to make sure that low-income families have sustainable living wages, so they no longer have to go back to the food banks.

Holt, Steve. “Why an Anti-Hunger Activist and Author Calls Food Banks a ‘Toxic Charity’.” CityLab, 19 June 2017, www.citylab.com/solutions/2017/06/why-cant-america-solve-the-hunger-problem/530151/.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Research Update: Food Banks Could Contribute to the Cycle of Hunger by Bella is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sam 1 month ago

I completely agree with you Bella. This is a very interesting problem that I have never considered, but makes a lot of sense. A constant giving to those in need without implementing a way for them to change their ways or sustainability for them and their possible families. Your point on only supplying housing to people for a couple of months is very good because afterwords they will most likely be in the same position as before. Awesome ideas and can’t wait to read more!
    -Sam