While there are no major critics of education in youth detention centres, many argue that proper education is too expensive for kids who have made these serious mistakes. On the contrary, some wish to expand the budget of these centres to allow for programs to rehabilitate kids and put them back into society, including education. Many studies, over the course of six months to two years, have found that youth who are well educated are far less likely to end up back in a detention centre.

Next week I will be interviewing a teacher who works in a detention centre currently about the state of education in these centres from the inside. The majority of researchers have an outside perspective, so I am seeking out neutral, first-hand, insider points of view. I will be publishing my questions as well as the answers I receive next week after the interview.

In the meantime, I have been looking more into this article about education as a whole as well as it’s role in detention centres. https://nowcomment.com/documents/168418 I have been looking more heavily into the fact that education is not mentioned in the Constitution and therefore the Tenth Amendment gives it as a right to the states, so the majority of states have individualized programs. Currently, only 1/3 of the states call for public education and incarcerated education systems to be the same or up to the same standards.

I also interviewed two women who run a juvenile justice program for young female felons in Utah and I will be writing on that interview in my next post as well.

Here is a link to what I am currently reading: https://nowcomment.com/documents/168418

Sullivan, Karen. “Education Systems in Juvenile Detention Centers.” Brigham Young University Education & Law Journal, vol. 2018, no. 2, Fall 2018, pp. 71–100. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=133127119&site=ehost-live.