My topic is Student Debt. Out of the 6 sources that I have read so far I’ve learned that Student Debt can be lessened in many ways and that student debt is often more of a burden for those who take out smaller loans versus bigger loans. I’ve also learned that you can combine loans into one large loan and that allows for a longer time period in order to pay off the loans, however, with this longer time period comes a higher percentage that you have to pay. Additionally, if your parents had started saving money for your college when you were younger that can also lessen the amount of student debt you rack up. I also learned what Stafford Loans are and that they can be subsidized or unsubsidized, which means they are financially supported by the government. On the other hand, while most say that student loans shouldn’t scare you into not borrowing any money for your education, there is also the viewpoint that says the amount of student loan debt contributes to the wealth gap between different racial groups.  The largest gap is between Blacks and Hispanics, which ranges from the 15th to 85th percentile. However, no matter how high your debt is, you don’t have to begin paying it back immediately This is especially true if you have at least $30,000 in loans, than you have the ability to enter extended repayment plans which allows for longer times to pay the debt off.

Photo by Tumisu (Pixabay)