I read three articles this week about abortion, planned parenthood, and birth control. There seems to have been a large drop in unintended pregnancies which is due to increased conversation and funding regarding birth control, especially for teens. 

The first source I read talked about sexism in the medical field in regard to doctors prescribing birth control. The author argues that many doctors are more hesitant to refill a birth control prescription for various reasons. A lot of the time this hesitation stems from religious beliefs. To slow the process for women to get their medication “97% of doctors required Pap tests before refilling an oral contraceptive prescription.” (Delston, 2017). She argues that this reveals underlying sexism towards women’s healthcare in the medical field, which shows why it is so hard for women to have access to reproductive health care. 

Next I read an article that argues that education regarding reproduction is better than leaving children and teenagers with questions. Without education and proper funding for organizations like planned parenthood, “birth control methods won’t reach the estimated 6.5 million poor women they serve.” (Ardell, 2002). Awareness about reproductive health has always been taboo, however, if we invest in organizations that promote education we could reduce unwanted pregnancies in this country. 

Finally, I read a paper about how proper training on reproductive health/birth control in medical staff is imperative to reducing costs and unwanted pregnancies. Without proper training on LARCs (long-acting contraceptives) many women face challenges in the outcomes: “Half of the clinics had people on staff who had been trained on insertion of IUDs or progestin implants; the other half did not, and the study found that when women went to the former, they were more likely to select a long-acting contraceptive method like the IUD or the implant, and they were less likely to become pregnant.” (Sifferlin, 2017). 

Cited:

Sifferlin A. Access to Most Effective Birth Control Could Save $12 Billion a Year: Study. Time.com. April 2017:1. https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=122517174&site=ehost-live. Accessed February 7, 2020.

A Wellness Perspective on Birth Control: Education is Better Than Ignorance. Electronic Ardell Wellness Report (E-AWR). May 2002:3. https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=6628792&site=ehost-live. Accessed February 7, 2020.

Delston JB. When doctors deny drugs: Sexism and contraception access in the medical field. Bioethics. 2017;31(9):703-710. doi:10.1111/bioe.12373.

1. Lizette Martinez 5 months ago

Dear Olivia,
    Your topic is very interesting to me, I find it interesting that there is still sexism in the medical field when it comes to birth-control. I never knew that that doctors are now more hesitant to refill birth control for religious reasons. I always thought that the Medical Field was about caring for the patient and that the professionals should do what is best for the patient even if it goes against what they see as wrong. Overall I like how you added evidence and shortened the articles to make it easier to read. I hope you keep on writing, keep it up.