When it comes to the reformation of the United States Justice System, one must notice the underlying problems. We could discuss how minorities and men are the most targeted individuals or the huge racial disparities that this country faces, that black people are more likely to get shot by police officers than whites, but let’s not forget how officers have a responsibility to protect and not torment communities.

Many solutions have been presented to the media and to the general population for years. A few of these include (when speaking particularly about blacks) the restoration of the Civil Rights Division, and more broad topics include the enhancement of equal rights, the recognition of police violence and how it affects families and communities, Vera Institute explains how justice reform begins with identifying the role of prosecutors; the individuals that are determining laws and who is deemed as criminals. We need to take a look at how police violence is only a part of a larger broken system.

Starting off by reforming the system for individuals it affects the most is the way to start since they are the ones that have been deprived of equal and just treatment, then the scope of people being helped should begin to broaden out and eventually include every citizen. If justice reform is not now addressed now it will continuously grow into an even bigger issue than it already is today.