Childhood hunger is a problem that is often overlooked in the U.S. even though millions of children experience it in our country. I decided to look at 3 additional sources regarding the legislation that will lead to an increase in childhood food insecurity.

“This is (Not) America: New Trump Administration Rule Will Create More Hunger and Poverty”

This article, published by the Food and Research Action Center (FRAC), regards a new rule proposed by the Trump administration that cuts funding going towards the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), previously known as “food stamps”. By cutting funding towards SNAP, hunger and poverty would increase throughout the nation. It also makes it especially hard for low-income families, and families of color to access programs that aid nutrition. The Department of Homeland Security received over 266,000 comments in opposition to this rule, but the rule is still going into effect. FRAC is currently working to help give proper access of nutritious foods to these families.

“The Ripple Effect of Taking SNAP Benefits from One Person”

In this article from The Atlantic, the new rule in Trump’s administration as mentioned before, is explained more in depth. This rule is estimated to cut nearly 700,000 unemployed people from food assistance provided by SNAP, and targets “able-bodied adults without dependents” (ABAWDs). This administration depicts ABAWDs as people who should be cut from financial assistance because they ought to be working anyways. However, this rule inadvertently affects children and the elderly as well. It overlooks the fact that these unemployed people cut off from food assistance may have been providing for their children or the elderly that reside with them. Not to mention, the new requirements to be eligible for SNAP are difficult to attain for families, such as the requirement of 80 hours of work per week. Cutting this program makes it extremely difficult for low-income families to have accessible, healthy food.

“US Kids Shouldn’t Go to School Hungry”

This article by Common Dreams illustrates how budget cuts for SNAP makes a large impact on public school lunch programs. Nearly half of the children in America live in low-income families, and many of which are eligible for free breakfast and lunch programs at their public school. The National School Lunch Program is beneficial to nearly 30 million children in the U.S. The Healthy, Hunger-free Kids Act in conjunction with SNAP has made healthy food more accessible to school children. Rolling these programs back would take 3 million struggling families including half a million children off free and reduced lunch programs. It is essential that children need nutritious food to function properly at school, and these programs have been shown to reduce childhood obesity, poor health, and food insecurity. The Trump administration defends this proposal by saying that SNAP is rife with financial fraud. This is a complete fallacy. In fact, this budget cut makes life harder for the poor in society.

“This Is (Not) America: New Trump Administration Rule Will Create More Hunger and Poverty.” Food Research & Action Center, frac.org/news/this-is-not-america-new-trump-administration-rule-will-create-more-hunger-and-poverty.

Dickinson, Maggie. “The Ripple Effects of Taking SNAP Benefits From One Person.” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 10 Dec. 2019, www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/12/trump-snap-food-stamps-cuts/603367/.

Dolan, Karen. “US Kids Shouldn’t Go to School Hungry.” Common Dreams, 7 Sept. 2019, www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/07/us-kids-shouldnt-go-school-hungry.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Childhood Hunger in America (Part 2) by Bella is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.