The three sources I annotated fill in the gaps of my proposed problem-solution essay. My issue is all about nursing home residents and their quality of life. It seems as though in today’s society we pay far more attention to children than the elderly. Yes, those children are our future but that also doesn’t mean we get to forget about our elderly. The solution I saw to this problem in my last round of research is called person-centered care, this encourages the patient and the nurse to work together to ultimately make each resident feel valued, cared for, and more like a person than a patient. The first source I read in this round outlines person-centered care in more detail. As this, after my research, is the best solution to the epidemic of loneliness in nursing home residents. An interesting theme of this essay was how nurses and hospitals react to this method of care. The response was surprisingly positive to this approach. This method doesn’t cost the hospitals more and it improves the nurse’s quality of work because it enforces more positive and deeper relationships with the residents they serve. The second source I read detailed how a program like this is more financially beneficial than others because it wouldn’t be an extra cost for residents on medicare. It also outlines how well-performing and well-respected nursing homes can receive federal money in the form of grants which would add an incentive to hire more nurses and maintain this program. The final source I read is an alternate solution source about how Philidelphia employed a program where nursing home residents went to ten sessions of art class, working to a final piece depending on their skill level, and that was proven to reduce loneliness. However, this solution is very costly because you have to employ artists, pay them for lessons, and pay for transportation for residents, and supplies. Considering most residents are on medicare this is not a financially feasible solution.

Berghout, Mathilde, et al. “Healthcare Professionals’ Views on Patient-Centered Care in Hospitals.” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 15, no. 1, Sept. 2015, pp. 1–13. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1186/s12913-015-1049-z (Annotation)

Bennett, Andrew Russell. “Accountable Care Organizations: Principles and Implications for Hospital Administrators.” Journal of Healthcare Management, vol. 57, no. 4, July 2012, pp. 244–254. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1097/00115514-201207000-00005. (Annotation)

Richmond-Cullen, Catherine. “The Effect of an Artist in Residence Program on Self-Reported Loneliness in Senior Citizens.” Educational Gerontology, vol. 44, no. 7, July 2018, pp. 425–432. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1080/03601277.2018.1494369. (Annotation)