Article & Annotations: Discussing Race with Young Kids.

This article looked at the idea that kids are not born racist. If they are to become racist, they have developed it through time as they have grown up. The author claims that we need to bring up race to kids at a very young age. Kids start to categorize things with other things at a young age, and to keep this categorization from turning into assigning hatred to certain people. We must teach them the right and wrong when it comes to race. To further this solution, the author talks about Kale Engle, a child educator and anti-racism consultant, says that children start to make distinctions based on racial differences as early as three. If we can push them in the right direction, away from racist conclusions, we have succeeded. Some say that this early action doesn’t matter. Only informing kids about these racial issues will push them into the world before they are ready. The author refutes this by saying that the solution is more helpful than detrimental. The solution will help kids make racial distinctions so they won’t blame individuals because of their race, or associate people with a bad characteristic because of their ethnicity. Another perspective is to have books be the facilitator to this lesson. Through books we could have kids slowly learn about these issues at a speed they can handle, and at a level they can understand. With them bringing up questions and observations, it can only make them more prepared for the future. 

Article & Annotations: We’re Not Doing Enough To End Hate Among Our Children.

This article, written by Simran Jeet Singh, talks about how the world isn’t doing enough to fix our generation and future generations when it comes to racism, or worldly issues. If kids aren’t taught about racism at a young age, there is a higher possibility that prejudice will develop in them when they become an adult. A perspective that there is a misunderstanding in today’s culture about racism is accurate. As the world has become more sensitive to issues, some people have not been able to develop with the times, leaving old fashioned ways still in existence. The author offers a solution that to help stop racism in the school, they must penalize and give consequences to people who act with this hatred. They have to discipline the kids and make sure everyone feels safe. The author supports his solution by saying that the justice system in our country gives harsher consequences for hate crimes. To eliminate hate, we must penalize those that do so. 

Article & Annotations: Review Finds Errors, Bias in History Materials.

The author, Sarah Schwartz, talks about an issue that has come up with a national social studies publication service, Studies Weekly. The issue is that there are many lessons that are outdated, crude, racist, incorrect, and are full of insensitive material. The author claims that the information being used and fed to the student using these services are ruining their development. The false narrative is teaching these kids bad information this isn’t essential for history classes at all. A solution was proposed and acted upon for Studies Weekly. They created a board to observe and monitor the lessons and plans that went out to make sure they were accurate and appropriate. The review team has changed, updated, or gotten rid of a lot of material from the service. Some people say that some of the information is correct, but appropriate information needs to be given to kids. As they develop, they must be given the materials to perform in life kindly and peacefully, and that isn’t occurring here. History books tend to be biased, so we need to work to understand that, and know that it’s the past, and we need to work towards the future. 

Article & Annotations: From the Editor: How Do We Explain That to the Kids?

Amy Shuffelton, the author, says that the world is becoming overflown with racial issues, discrimination, violence, and all ethical and political issues that it is hard to explain to kids why the world is why it is. How can parents successfully get the point of the world and the issues we face across to a youthful child? How can we fix this? The author offers a solution and that is to be involved. Be involved in the community, with your child, and in the world. You do this, and your child can see the world issues, but understand at the same time that these problems can be fixed or hindered by kindness. We can’t make kids grow up any faster, but we can give them the resources and information to prepare them for adulthood. We must understand what we tell the kids, and what we let them learn. 

PAYNE, RACHEL G., and JESSICA RALLI. “Discussing Race with Young Kids.” School Library Journal, vol. 64, no. 10, Oct. 2018, p. 22. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=132124488&site=ehost-live.

Singh, Simran Jeet. “We’re Not Doing Enough To End Hate Among Our Children.” Time.Com, Mar. 2015, p. N.PAG. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=101600357&site=ehost-live.

Schwartz, Sarah. “Review Finds Errors, Bias in History Materials.” Education Week, vol. 38, no. 36, June 2019, pp. 1–14. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=137088111&site=ehost-live.

Shuffelton, Amy. “From the Editor: How Do We Explain That to the Kids?” Educational Theory, vol. 67, no. 1, Feb. 2017, pp. 5–8. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1111/edth.12221.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Problem-solution summary 2 by Tomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.