If we want to shift society away from fast fashion, my first source believes luxury brands need to be the forerunners of the movement towards sustainablity. This source points out that many people will only buy “eco-friendly” clothing if it is also fashionable; the demographic that buys the most fast fashion are also the ones who care the most about being fashionable. Additionally, because luxury fashion is so expensive and has cachet, such designers can afford the costs of becoming more eco-friendly. Thus, if luxury fashion becomes sustainable, it is a possible beginning solution to fast fashion.

My second source explains that brands would financially benefit from becoming more sustainable. Most young people are interested in supporting sustainable and eco friendly companies.  It also describes the shift from past to present in the support for sustainability. In the past, sustainability was seen as “hippy” and “unconventional”, until the 60’s and 70’s. Many businesses today are starting to shift to being more sustainable, but some are faking this change. One of the most sustainable businesses today is Pategonia, which is known for its transparency and dedication to sustainability and quality. 

My last source, a short article, describes some of the least sustainable and ethical brands. While some of the writing seems unprofessional and biased, other sources confirm what this article states. It starts with a general explanation of fast fashion and sustainability, and why fast fashion is a problem. Fast fashion is a problem because it is highly unsustainable (it wastes materials and water) and the workers producing it have terrible conditions and wages. It then lists some of the least sustainable brands: Uniqlo, Victoria’s Secret, H&M, Primark, Ripcurl, Asos, Zara, Forever 21, New Look, and Beneton. 

Fast Fashion, Sustainability, and the Ethical Appeal of Luxury Brands.

Joy, Annamma, et al. “Fast Fashion, Sustainability, and the Ethical Appeal of Luxury Brands.” Fashion Theory: The Journal of Dress, Body & Culture, vol. 16, no. 3, Sept. 2012, pp. 273–295. EBSCOhost, doi:10.2752/175174112X13340749707123. 

Annotation Link

SHADES OF GREEN: How sustainability in fashion went from the margins to the mainstream—and why it’s here to stay. Pasquarelli, Adrianne. “SHADES OF GREEN: How Sustainability in Fashion Went from the Margins to the Mainstream—and Why It’s Here to Stay.” Advertising Age, vol. 90, no. 5, Mar. 2019, p. 18. EBSCOhost

Annotation Link

attitudeorganic, By: “Fast Fashion Brands to Avoid.” Attitude Organic, 30 Jan. 2020, attitudeorganic.com/fast-fashion-brands-to-avoid/. 

Annotation Link

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fast Fashion & Sustainability by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.