I’m going to compare and contrast three stories we chose to study in my English class. “Everyday Use,” by Alice Walker (1973), “The Lesson,” by Toni Cade Bambara (1972), and “How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Hafie,” by Junot Diaz (1995) The connection between the stories is education because all the stories are talking about education from different point of view. In the story “Everyday Use,” one of the characters, Dee wants education. Her sister, Maggie is focused on the family and how she can connect with others while the mother cannot treat her two daughters the same. In the “The Lesson,” there are some children’s who came from lower class income families and they do not have any education. That’s why they do not know how to deal with real world. Additionally, in “How to Date…” the boy do not have any education because he does not know how to to be with different girls. That’s why he went to a older person to learn about girls. These three story have connections as well as differences. The setting, time and the conflict of each of the stories is different.

Point of view refers to the narrative voice in a story, which shows the opinion or feeling of individuals involved in a situation. The three stories talk about education in different points of view. “The Lesson” is told from the point of view of one of the little girls on the trip. We see the woman who is helping the children to get to know the different class in the society from her point of view. In “Everyday Use” we see the story from Mama’s point of view. And in “How to date…” we get the perspective of an older man trying to educate a younger man.

All three of these stories are different from each other in another way. In “Everyday Use,” Mama was more concern about Dee’s education and her other daughter Maggie was staying home and didn’t get the educational opportunity even though she always wanted get this opportunity. Maggie sees herself as like other people. In “How to date…” the main character doesn’t have any knowledge about different type of girls and he is asking so many questions about girls. He wants to get to know different types of girl. This story is different from “The Lesson” where the children are in a gang group and they are lower income class families and they don’t have any education. That is why it was hard for them to deal with the real world and why Miss Moore is trying to show them a different class of society. So they can have some idea about it.

Characterization is the way a writer to reveals personality of a character. This three stories similarities is that all the character from from three different stories they are learning from someone who is older than them.This stories are similar because in “Everyday Use,” Dee goes to different place to learn and in “The Lesson” the children to to the toy story to learn about the rest of the world and how rest of the people live. Also, in the story the characters does not want to share their real personality and try to be something which they are not. They are also similar because they have high expectations for life because they are trying to be better. This stories are also different than each other because in “Everyday Use” Mama seems to give preference to one of her daughters over the other one. In “How to date…” the main character is a boy and the narrator is an older boy and they are talking about different races of girls. “The Lesson” is different from the other two stories because the children are poor.

Tone is the speaker’s attitude toward his subject.This three stories are similar is that they all promote a significant education in all life aspects. The characters of the stories get shocked at the some point of their life and willing to get something which could bring great influence.They are disappointed and they are not happy with everything they have. In “Everyday Use” and “The Lesson,” they are disappointed and they are not happy with everything they have. There are differences too. “How To Date…” is different from “The Lesson” and “Everyday Use” because the author tries to educate in a very relaxed way and the rhythm of words make it sound as an experienced person whereas in “The Lesson” and “Everyday Use” they just teach either bossy, boring or regularly. What makes “The Lesson” different from “Everyday Use” and “How To Date…” is how people understand advice and put into practice what was taught to them. Yet in “Everyday Use,” Dee did not listen to her Mom and left the house and in “How to Date…” the protagonist may or may not listen to the narrator’s experience. What makes “Everyday Use” different from “The Lesson” and “How To Date…” is the sacrifices that she makes to support their children, and to avoid that they do mistakes in life as well as how the kids are educated.

What I noticed in these three stories no matter who they are, the characters want to learn more about what they do not know about yet, and make themselves more educated.

1. El-Hossin 4 months ago

Dear Fatema:
    I am fascinated by your literary analysis essay, “Three Life Lessons,” because you really depicted how the three stories teach us a valuable life lesson with each story, has a unique lesson to teach.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “What I noticed in these three stories no matter who they are, the characters want to learn more about what they do not know about yet,” I think this is powerful because you find connection between the three stories about education, and new generations. Also is interesting because your idea changes my understanding of the stories.
    Another sentence that I felt was “They are also similar because they have high expectations for life because they are trying to be better.” This stood out for me because this sentence describes each character of each story that relates how they help their community to do not make the same mistakes as the people did on the past.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are a good writer and you identify details that can summarize your words.

2. Abigail 5 months ago

Dearn fatema:
    I am interested in your literary analysis, “Three Life Lessons,” because you give us a summary of three stories that have a connection with education. Each story has a different point of view on education. For example, it shows different ways of young people facing the issues about it.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “What I noticed in these three stories no matter who they are, the characters want to learn more about what they do not know about yet,” I think this is powerful because you find connection between the three stories about education, and new generations. Also is interesting because your idea changes my understanding about the stories.
    Another sentence that I felt was “They are also similar because they have high expectations for life because they are trying to be better.” This stood out for me because this sentence describes each character of each story that relates how they help its community to do not make the same mistakes as the people did on the past.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are a good writer and you identify details that can summarize your words.

3. Lenin 5 months ago

Dear Fatema:

I am impressed with your essay, “Three Life Lesson” because you explained really well the similarities and differences between the three stories. Also, you give a brief definition of the literary elements used in the stories wich is helpful. A set of lines you wrote that stands out for me is: “This story is different from “The Lesson” where the children are in a gang group and they are lower income class families and they don’t have any education. That is why it was hard for them to deal with the real world and why Miss Moore is trying to show them a different class of society. So they can have some idea about it.” I think this is a key detail because people who don’t have the chance to get education may have a limited view of the real world, not knowing all the oportunities they could have through education. Another sentence that I read was: “This three stories similarities is that all the character from from three different stories they are learning from someone who is older than them.” This stood out for me because thinking about it, its true that all the mains characters are learning from someone experienced in the life. In “Everyday Use”, Dee was teaching Mama and maggie about what she learn in school, in “The Lesson”, Miss Moore was teaching to a group of kids about wealth inequality, and in “How to dat…”, the main character was learning from someone who was experienced in how to behave with a girl. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it helps me to se more similarities about these short stories.