Many private schools have uniforms but have you ever thought about what the point of uniforms are. There are many arguments that go for and against the use of uniforms at school but any studies have shown no difference and other studies have shown a slight improvement in obedience. The use of uniforms isn’t anything new and the first evidence of the use of academic uniforms was in 1222 when the then Archbishop of Canterbury ordered the wearing of the cappa clausa, although they didn’t become popular until 1994. 

Many reasons that support the use of uniforms make it so that students are equal and kids have less of the competitive feeling of who is dressed best or has the best clothes. Another supporting reason is that it helps with safety by making it easier to spot kids from the school and easier to spot intruders. Also it promotes learning by worrying more about school than worrying about your clothes.

With many convincing arguments that support the use of uniforms there are some reasons people believe they shouldn’t be used. The number one con of having uniforms is that students don’t have the freedom to choose what they want and it restricts the ways they can express themselves through clothes. Personally I think not having a uniform makes it easier on me as a student because I don’t have to worry about what I have to wear so I think they are a good thing.

1. Matt 2 months ago

Hey Timmy
    I totally agree with the points you have made on school uniforms, the pros and cons of them. I really like how you brought up the history of school uniforms as well. In my opinion, I don’t care whether uniforms are required or not, it doesn’t affect my learning in anyway. Here is another article on school uniforms I think you might like. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/1999/10/school-uniforms/

2. Lizette Martinez 2 months ago

Dear Timmy,
    You have very good points on why we should wear school uniforms. You also have very good points on why we shouldn’t have school uniforms. I personally don’t think that having school uniforms really matters, but from your points I’m starting to see why they may be important. I am also starting to see that sometimes school uniforms aren’t the best options for kids. Kids don’t get the freedom to decide what they wear, you also said that by having no uniforms you worry less about having to dress for school, does this mean that with the uniforms you constantly worry? that is the opposite effect they want. Other than that you should post were you got the information from.