“The Lesson” by Bambara, “Everyday Use,” by Alice, “How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie,” by Juno share an inner connection that makes them sew a big picture that explains how society ranks you based on your social class, level of education, and race. Also, they show how it is like to be from a disadvantaged background and life in poverty. They show how the way you perceive the surrounding environment influences your perspective. 

The story “Everyday Use” took place in a rural environment in the U.S. which was a very poor village and most people who reside there didn’t have enough education neither able to send their children to college. The story “The Lesson” took place in an urban area, New York City Specifically in a slum neighborhood where most residents are not able to afford to live and admit their students to a school that provides valuable education. The story “How to Date a Browngirl,…” took place in a slum neighborhood in Puerto Rico where most residents were too poor and the crime rate was too high. All of the three stories share a common setting which is a poor neighborhood where people can’t even afford to live. On the other hand, “The Lesson” took place in the nineteenth, “Everyday Use” took place after the Jim Crow era, “How to Date a Browngirl,…” took place in the nineteenth. All of the three stories took place in a time where there was a huge conflict in an environment where the story was. 

“Everyday Use” express conflict between both of the daughter because of their level of education that makes them perceive the world in a different way. “The Lesson” express the conflict between oneself and society in which Ms. Moore trying to fix the educational disproportional between the poor and the rich in the U.S. In “How to Date a Browngirl…” demonstrate a problem between self and the society in which how society judge you based on socials classes. All of these three stories show that if you are poor, most rich people will exclude you because you don’t belong. Social class rank you and make you more or less worth because society perceives you in that way. The racial inequality in the U.S. exists because of practicing discriminating laws for a long time against minority until today. The poor neighborhood and in general poor people in the U.S. don’t get a good education, which contributes to making them poorer.  

“How to Date a Browngirl…” teaches a lesson which is you should treat everyone based on what he expected, so you can be able to fit in his world. “The Lesson” evident that the racial wealth gap in the U.S. reaches its finest and it is responsible for the educational gap between the white people and people of color. “Everyday Use” proves that everyone perceives the world based on his own experience and thus people tend to have totally different opinions about the same things. These three stories demonstrate that money matters in this world because we live in a materialistic world and everyone should hustle in this world to get what he wants. The world is not always fair and it will never be fair, but everyone should do his best to make this world a better place. Everyone should make his community a better place by using his knowledge to help his fellow people. 

The three stories above demonstrate that education is important because it opens our minds. Not only that, but it helps us to raise an informed generation. The wealth inequality in the U.S. makes a blockade on the people’s color because it forces them to live in a slum area and provide worthless education for their children, and it doesn’t allow them to achieve social mobility. Society will judge you and rank you based on your education, color, and wealth. Even the society will put expectations on you once they classify you into their own categories. Even though, everyone has his own point of view about categorizing people based on his experiences. I think the racial wealth gap should be deterred in the U.S. to guarantee basic human rights for everyone. Most rich people in the U.S. don’t make money by themselves, they take advantage of other people to make money. The U.S. legislators should granted a useful education to every child in the U.S. for free. The sad truth that the poor neighborhood in the U.S. receives a bad quality education which disqualifies them to enter college. We, people, should work together to guarantee an affordable life for everyone.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Racial Wealth Gap and Education by El-Hassn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Celines 7 days ago

Dear El-hassan
    I am impressed by your literary analysis “Racial Wealth Gap and Education” because you describe the issues that people face in the USA. You bring the opinion of the three texts that have a common connection. The details that you mentioned are specific that show the evidence respect of the lesson that you want to give to the readers.
    One set of the lines that stands out for me is; “how it is like to be from a disadvantaged background and life in poverty. They show how the way you perceive the surrounding environment influences your perspective.” This line describes the opinion about the environment and society affect people where people act respect to the influences like personal and private. And also the disadvantages that people have the education and economics are the issues most important to focus on there.
    Another sentence that I impacted was; “The sad truth that the poor neighborhood in the U.S. receives a bad quality education which disqualifies them to enter college. We, people, should work together to guarantee an affordable life for everyone.”This stood out for me because you used repiticion on your analysis with specific points that are important for us. This analysis helps to understand some literary elements that have the three stories on the way that you explain.
    Thanks for your post. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I hope you continue to post interesting analysis or texts like this one.

2. Abigail 2 weeks ago

Dear El-Hassn :
    I am impacted by your essay, “Racial Wealth Gap and Education,” because you show the connection between the stories and also about real life. One set of lines that you wrote that stands out for me is: “ Social class rank you and make you more or less worth because society perceives you in that way. The racial inequality in the U.S. exists because of practicing discriminating laws for a long time against minority until today. The poor neighborhood and in general poor people in the U.S. don’t get a good education, which contributes to making them poorer. ” I think this is really powerful because it is our reality. Also you make connections to the past of the U.S and the stories.
    Another sentence that I felt was: “The wealth inequality in the U.S. makes a blockade on the people’s color because it forces them to live in a slum area and provide worthless education for their children, and it doesn’t allow them to achieve social mobility.” This stood out for me because it made me think about how I felt right about going to college being part of a minority.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are a great writer and your writing is really powerful to change people’s minds.

3. Housseynatu 2 weeks ago

Dear El-Hassan
    I am compassionate with your story because it really stands out for me and people can just read the first paragraph and understand what you are going to talk about in the essay. Maggie’s family were really struggling when it comes to education and living status. This sentence really caught my attention “which was a very poor village and most people who reside there didn’t have enough education neither able to send their children to college. Because being poor can really hurt and prevent them from getting education and other privileges. This sentence is inspiring because you took all three stories and compared them in just one sentence. I like the language and the writing you used to make readers understand.“All of the three stories share a common setting which is a poor neighborhood where people can’t even afford to live”. Your stories are really amazing and I can’t wait to read what you will write next.

4. Fatoumata 2 weeks ago

Dear El-Hassn
    I am fascinated by your analysis, “ Racial Wealth Gap and Education,” because you really show how poor people struggles to gain education. Therefore how the characters environment influence them. One set of lines that stands out for me is, “ The three stories above demonstrate that education is important because it opens our minds. Not only that, but it helps us to raise an informed generation. The wealth inequality in the U.S. makes a blockade on the people’s color because it forces them to live in a slum area and provide worthless education for their children, and it doesn’t allow them to achieve social mobility.” I think these lines are thoughtful because you deeply explain the context of being poor affect your ability to educated. Another paragraph that stands out for me is, your introduction because your explain all the three stories before your started to analyzed them this can helped the reader to have an idea what you are analyzing. Thanks for this thoughtful analysis I look forward to seeing what you make next.