We decided as a class to nominate three short stories to read which is “The lesson” and “Everyday use” and “How to date brown girl , white girl ….”. Those three stories were chosen by our class because they were the most interesting for all of us. our teacher asked us to compare and contrast those three stories to understand them better and get the actual message that the writer want to convey through his/her writing.

The three stories are addressing issues that the underrepresented communities face in the U.S.A. The “lesson ” is discussing how poverty affects the life of the kids from low-income class. They didn’t have the privilege to get an education because they were born and raised in the ghetto New York which reflect on their behavior from the way they talk to the way they behave and view their lives. The story “Everyday Use ” discusses the same issue about how hard it is to get an education for people from underrepresented groups. Dee wanted to receive an education in an era where people from her social class and race are not allowed to have an education. She eventually had to leave everything behind to achieve her goal which ultimately created a problem for her. The theme for “Everyday Use ” and “The lesson” are conveying how important education is . while “Everyday Use ” are proposing an argument about the significance of “Heritage ” vs The significance of “education” . “The lesson ” The whole is proposing a lecture from one prespective and a reaction from the people who are being lectured.

The story “How to date a brown ,white, black and halfie girl” is similar with the stories “The lesson ” and “Everyday use ” because they are all narrated from underrepresented point of view but ““How to date a brown ,white, black and halfie girl” is addressing a problem with social class and race insecurities and the author didn’t end the story with a resolution instead he is teaching us how to hide these insecurities and to be ashamed of who we are. That doesn’t help in the long term because it helps sustaining the existing issues instead of proposing a resolution.

The issues that the United States face has to be addressed and everybody has to speak up . Therefore, people can be more aware of the existing problems in the U.S . The more that people speak up the more that we have awareness and problems can be solved. It is also important to integrate different points of views and it’s important to live in an integrated society.

These issues are so important to be addressed because all humans deserve to get basic life necessities. Education should be a right for everyone and no one has to struggle to get this right .

1. Isaac 6 months ago

Dear Hanna,

I am really impressed how you analyse the three stories “Struggles of Minorities,” because you used all of them to show how minority is a real problem. One paragraph that stands out for me is, The issues that the United States face has to be addressed and everybody has to speak up . Therefore, people can be more aware of the existing problems in the U.S . The more that people speak up the more that we have awareness and problems can be solved.” because it denounces how equality in present our society. Another line set of lines that stands out for me is, “the story “How to date a brown ,white, black and halfie girl” is similar with the stories “The lesson ” and “Everyday use ” because they are all narrated from underrepresented point of view but ““How to date a brown ,white, black and halfie girl” is addressing a problem with social class and race insecurities and the author didn’t end the story with a resolution instead he is teaching us how to hide these insecurities and to be ashamed of who we are.” I think those lines are really important because it shows the difference between them . Thanks for your beautiful analysis. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I think you watch the movie now they see us because your writing remind me of that.

2. Aboubakar 6 months ago

Dear HANNA :
    I am shocked about, your letter, “Struggles of Minorities,” because of the kind. Your mention in your letter. Today we are doing everything to make our world better. We also know that one day we will have to give the sit the kids. But what if the kids are not even prepared. All the things we been doing will be equal to zero.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “They didn’t have the privilege to get an education because they were born and raised in the ghetto New York which reflects on their behavior from the way they talk to the way they behave and view their lives.” I think this is weird because I think It is not the fault of the kid but the fault of the parent. The parents have to bring the kids to school or show them that education is the most important thing in the world.
    Another sentence that I saw and it was not correct was: “How to date a brown, white, black and half girl” is addressing a problem with social class and race insecurities.” This stood out for me because in this world people are different. Only according to their race but according to their behavior. A group of people may have different races and have behavior. That means learning how to date girls according to their race is useless in some cases.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

3. Celines 6 months ago

Dear Hanna
    I am grateful for your literary analysis “Struggles of Minorities” because you describe the issues that happened in the U.S.A. The analysis shows the three texts that discuss specific things with examples on the perspective on life. These issues have specific details like facing the characters that narrates the author.
    One set of the lines that stands out for me is “These issues are so important to be addressed because all humans deserve to get basic life necessities. Education should be a right for everyone and no one has to struggle to get this right”. This line has a strong lesson that people can be impact and change their minds. The corruption in the government causes the education and economy to have a lack of the social class that affect the middle and poor class.
    Another sentence that I impacted was “It is also important to integrate different points of views and it’s important to live in an integrated society.”.This stood out for me because you explain a purpose on a specific group that is society. On resolution the idea is to bring other views or opinions about the struggle on our community and others communities.
    Thanks for your post. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I hope you continue to post interesting analysis or texts like this one.

4. Idelkys 6 months ago

Dear Hanna,

I feel very thoughtful about your story, “Struggle of minorities” because you highlight how because of education is that many times people of color do not get the education that they either want or deserve and you talk about the criticism that is happening as a major issue in society due to Black people.
    One set of lines that stand out about your story for me was the third paragraph is when you convicted how black people are undermined because they have no education and other people tend to talk bad about them. Many people do not actually understand that they do not have money to be educated. It is as a back and forth rule . People who tend to exige have to actually be aware that they need to also give to society.
    Another set of lines that also stand out for me was in the second paragraph . You explained how most likely all of the characters seek for education at one point or another. They potentially face other people either because education played a huge role in between. All the three stories base themselves in having education as the main idea for everything. This story reminds me of many immigrants who come to this country and they do not always get the best education. It is conditional to understand that the main reason for why people do not tend to have what they want is because of money.
    Thank you for sharing this story with me. I look forward to hearing more about your stories. I look forward to hearing more about your stories because in the actuality many people have forgotten that our system is how it is because there is not enough money for undermined groups and therefore people do not tend to have high levels of education

Best

5. Housseynatu 6 months ago

Beloved Hanna,
    I am touched with the language you used to explain how minorities are suffering from the society. Especially the black people who suffered the most because they are black and poor. Sometimes it looks like they are isolated from society. This paragraph really helped me to see being poor can affect many people’s lives and to not have the privilege to education. “The “lesson ” is discussing how poverty affects the life of the kids from low-income class. They didn’t have the privilege to get an education because they were born and raised in the ghetto New York which reflects on their behavior from the way they talk to the way they behave and view their lives”. What Else the same thing happened to Dee because she had to sacrifice a lot to get the education that she was visualizing since her childhoodness. Your story is so inspiring and I really learned a lot from it. Additionally, I wish to read what you will be writing next time. Thank you.

6. Fatoumata 6 months ago

Dear Hanna
    I am really impressed how you analyse the three stories “Struggles of Minorities,” because you used all of them to show how minorities faced their problem everyday life. One paragraph that stands out for me is, you introduced your three stories by explain why you are doing this analysis and what make chose the stories. It’s very clear and clever. Another line set of lines that stands out for me is, “ The issues that the United States face has to be addressed and everybody has to speak up . Therefore, people can be more aware of the existing problems in the U.S . The more that people speak up the more that we have awareness and problems can be solved.” I think those line are really true because It’s always important to speak up and It’s could changes a lot of life. Thanks for your this beautiful analysis. I look forward to seeing what you make next.