The three stories surely have similarities and differences. Although the characters in the three texts have different cognitive traits, they all seem to be related to race despite their different reality. In the first text (Everyday Use), the author wanted to elaborate how race can awake insecurity due to society’s radar. However, it is different from the two other stories at the same time since the second story talks about dating girls, the third text, about inequality of living conditions that people go through because of their social range. But once again they all denounce racial adversity in their own way. Even though “everyday use” and “Lesson” are both emphasizing unfairness in society, “Lesson” merge in the political aspect of the subject. Meanwhile “Everyday Use” is far more moderate and lean toward racial wealth gap. Unlike the last text, which focuses more on the behavioral, physical analysis of females. These three texts reveal how judgmental and unequal humanity has become.

In the texts the author uses irony to show the social and economic differences between races. In the story “Lesson”, a set of lines are used to emphasize the financial difference between different classes, “Thirty-five dollars could buy new bunk beds for Junior and Gretchen’s boy. Thirty-five dollars and the whole household could go visit Grand-daddy Nelson in the country. Thirty-five dollars would pay for the rent and the piano bill too.Who are these people that spend that much for performing clowns and $1000 for toy sailboats?” the contrast between these people is almost laughable. Meanwhile only $35 is able nourish a whole family, ironically other people pay $1000 of dollars for toys. Another example could be found in “Everyday Use” when the author uses this evidence to show these unfairness: “Your heritage,” she said, And then she turned to Maggie, kissed her, and said, “You ought to try to make something of yourself, too, Maggie. It’s really a new day for us.” It is Ironic that certain rich people have land and other prosperity that they inherited from parents while other people have only quilts and that is the only legacy that their parents left behind despite despair and discouragement. In the last story the evidence is: “Clear the government cheese from the refrigerator…Take down any embarrassing photos of your family in the campo, especially that one with the half-naked kids dragging a goat on a rope.” here the author shows the irony by tell the kid he should hide the picture of him in the campo. At the same time, this picture might be a vacation picture of one of Dad’s house at the lacs, for some people However, the three stories are dissimilar . It’s impressive how the three authors use different ways to denounce the same problem. Though, they all came to the same issue, Racial wealth gap. The gap difference between races is appealing nowadays and the world can not denial it by any means.

On another perspective, the authors use setting to deliver their message and show the era of silence have come to an end. Both “Lesson” and “Everyday Use” were written in the early 1970’s where African Americans women’s rights had reached the height of their independence (at the time). This era was significant for women’s fight for equality, they were getting involved, Shirley Chisholm became the first African American woman candidate for President, Cheryl Adrienne Brown, Miss New York, became the first African American contestant in the Miss America pageant the grass was getting greener. In the “Lesson” the author wants to show how a black woman (Ms Moore) is criticizing and teaching the younger ones how unfair society could be. Similarly, though in a subtle, the story “Everyday Use” accentuate the independence of African American women by showing how Dee is trying to get an education in order to have a better life and encouraging her sister to do so. Since a father figure was not mentioned in the story it also shows how brave her mother was for paying for her school by showing how she believes in female education. In a way, the three stories are talking about female emancipation. However the third text was written in the 1990’s and this one focus more on female consciousness. It shows how years later, black females have grown how confident they become on having their own personality due to the place they have in society now compared to the 1970’s they now have a choice to make their own mind, to decide who date, the barrier of race had been taken down, they’re now open to change, “halfies” or now growing in number since this curse had been broken.

The last literary element is imagery which is used by the authors to appreciate the appearance of black women. In the three stories the authors talked about African American females physically and morally. Nevertheless, they are talking about it in unmatched pattern. In “ how to date brown girl, black girl, white girl and halfie” and “Everyday Use” the two writers talk about the beauty of the black women.  Unlike “Lesson” which in a sense mock the look of the ebony female. It says in the story, “this lady moved on our block with nappy hair…And she was black as hell, cept for her feet, which were fish-white and spooky.” However the three stories praises African American women’s moral–self respect and still showing black women’s aesthetic charm. In “how to date brown girl, black girl, white girl and halfie” for instance, the narrator kept telling the kid (or the reader) that the black female wouldn’t let anybody have any type of sexual intercourse whatsoever. It says,“A local girl will have hips and a nice ass but won’t be quick about letting you touch her”. Similar in “Everyday Uses”, “Her feet were always neat-looking as if God himself had shaped them with a certain style…Hair is all over his head a foot long and hanging from his chin like a kinky mule tail.” all writers talk about the physics of the females in the story and are different in that sense but all greet their integrity somehow, whether from Dee for telling her sister to start being independent, to the “local girl”, for not letting anybody disrespect her sexual modesty. “Lesson” also shows the need for Ms Moore to fight for her rights through a dialogue between a woman and black children.

Although these formidable penmen used diverse ways and elements to indexed society problems they all used the same formula: the power of letters. This world ought to come close to perfection but only if we come to agree with our past in order to embrace the future with a pure heart.

We shall fight injustice or even racism without going to war or even have a scratch. Because we should take advice from the past and until now, letter have never failed. Education is the key to unleash true freedom

1. Abigail 1 month ago

Dear Isaac :
    I am inspired by your literary analysis,”Discovery of My Felt Sense,” because you describe specific literary elements that you find connection between the three stories. These stories have connections in some issues that are education, inequality in our society. I like the way you explain the cause and affect people in different ways.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ” Unlike the last text, which focuses more on the behavioral, physical analysis of females. These three texts reveal how judgmental and unequal humanity has become.” I think this is interesting because it describes some stereotypes that people create inequality between some groups of people. For example; religion, education, gender, etc..
    Another sentence that I was: “This world ought to come close to perfection but only if we come to agree with our past in order to embrace the future with a pure heart..” This stood out for me because it describes how people change during the time. Sometimes it is difficult to change the education people and this is going affect specific communities with arguments that are our future.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are a great writer and have ideas that help to understand the main idea of your text.

2. Idelkys 2 months ago

Dear Isaac,

I am impressed by your story about ” The Discovery of my felt sense” because you explain very detailed how the three stories show similarities among each other. You also reflect how the stories highlight Black people in all three.

One of the set of lines that stood out for me were ” Imagery is used to appreciate the appearance of Black women int the story.” I never thought about women being admired on all of the sides. I thought about the opposite way , yet about suing the same literary element. In the three stories, women are all being put as the main problem or are kind of being characterized as always understood by men in the society. I also think that women do not need to have dependency on man for nothing. They perform good job in the society, and are actual leaders in our current world.
    Another set of lines that stood out for me was when you say ” We shall fight injustice or even racism without going to war or even have a scratch. Because we should take advice from the past and until now, letter have never failed. Education is the key to unleash true freedom” . it is a very powerful influence for people to understand that racism should be stopped. It is quite uncomfortable to be colored just because of the fact that people tend to treat them not that nice , just because of their race. They do not consider the fact that colored people did not choose to have the race that they have. It is why things like these, need to be spoken .

Your story reminds me of U.S History when we learned about how Black people were treated in the past and how there were a lot of injustices and segregation among Black and white people. I was given to create a speech based upon the videos that were seen in the class. I actually performed that speech and the fact that Black people did not choose or sign to have their race was a fact included in there.

Thanks for sharing your story with me. I look forward to what comes up next on your plate. Your story is very detailed, specific and powerful.
    Idelkys

3. Emely 2 months ago

Dear Isaac

I am overjoyed by your post “Discovery Of My Felt Sense” because you appreciate the way women want to overcome inequality at that time. I like the way you emphasize who was the first woman running to power.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “We shall fight injustice or even racism without going to war or even have a scratch. Because we should take advice from the past and until now, letters have never failed. Education is the key to unleash true freedom” because I support the idea that fighting is not going to solve any problem and people dying without a strong reason is not moral.
    Another sentence that I was reading : “ Thirty-five dollars would pay for the rent and the piano bill too.Who are these people that spend that much for performing clowns and $1000 for toy sailboats?” the contrast between these people is almost laughable.” This stood out for me because few people can realize that in today’s society too, history can keep repeating over and over.
    I like the evidence that you provide from the story that helps your ideas by being realistic statistics which show economic situations.
    I don’t agree with you that irony is the only writing strategy that one reason why I say this is because you can also connect this with conflict keep in mind that here we can see Man vs. Society.
    Have you seen this video on “Junot Diaz- How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie” I thought you might be interested in this because it is so easy when you see the character acting.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, for sure I like the way you support women’s ideas.

Best,
    Emely Lopez