The three stories have similarities on wanting to educate the reader in some way or another, particularly because all these stories talk about education while having similar ideas, but view throughout different lenses. For example, in “The Lesson” we have Moore who is helping the children to get to know the different classes in the society and in the “Everyday use” Mama is there for Dee to get the education and  support that it really was not there for Magie at all what shows the favoritism that it could exist in a family with a lot of disparities between the siblings.

Therefore, the differences in “The Lesson” from  the other two stories is the sensibility that it shows when it comes to topics like racism and the disparities between minorities because it goes way deeper than the fact that  the children were in a delinquent groups while also being considered a low income families and they didn’t have any education that is the reason why it was a struggle for them to face their reality and Moore was trying to get them involved with the different classes in society.

Additionally, they realize that the problem is real. Furthermore, In the story of “how to date” the main character didn’t have any knowledge or experience about which was the right way to date a girl or even the different types of girls so he decided that the best way for him to learn proper ways to date a girl was just by asking questions about girls and how they like to be treated also to get to know different types of girls. 

Although, differently In everyday use” differences with other two stories is the disparities between the main characters in the short stories one part in particular that can illustrate this is in this story Mama is more concern about Dee’s education than what she cares about her other daughter Maggie who was just staying home. In conclusion all three stories can absolutely come together to make just one exciting and surprising piece of writing, because they have the ability to complement each other by taking a little piece of each other to be able to bring the stories together with the one purpose that is to create just one common sense between them three. 

However, Everyday Use, really put itself apart from the other two stories, because it uses characterization so well for the reader to get deeper into the story, I strongly believe that you could see how the main characters feel about each other.

Photo by cdd20 (Pixabay)

1. Fatema 4 months ago

Dear Eros,
    I am amorous by your writing and post “Contradictions that make a beautiful piece of writing” because it described absolutely phenomenal ways of how these three stories have acted based on their social background and race. Life situation and position did really matter. I really like the way you highlight the personality of each character of each story. Everyday uses how Maggie’s lack of self-esteem makes her be alone and get omitted from the society. In addition, education is really significant to be known in society. Otherwise, we will be recognized as unknown to others.

I am really fascinated by your amazing writing. This writing helps me to understand “ Everyday use, The Lesson and How to date Brown girls “ how race and characteristic traits impact life.

Thanks for your writing. I am looking forward to seeing what you make next

2. Idelkys 8 months ago

Dear Eros,

I am very thoughtful about your story “Contradictions that make a beautiful piece of writing” because sometimes is optimal to also look at the other side of the page without judgments and you were conscious about how each one was supposed to act n their shoes.
    One of the set of lines that I felt very attracted towards,was ” The Lesson” we have Moore who is helping the children to get to know the different classes in the society and in the “Everyday use” Mama is there for Dee to get the education and support that it really was not there for Maggie at all what shows the favoritism that it could exist in a family with a lot of disparities between the siblings.” , I am surprised about it gives to also show about how also Dee could be as a good defended of her side when she left the house. She actually cared a lot about heritage. Yet she could probably wanted to get away from poverty without mattering anything. She did not care about her family i some way. In fact, it uses a lot of Irony to show it.
    Another set of lines that stand out for me is the lines of the second paragraph, which states ” can illustrate this is in this story Mama is more concern about Dee’s education than what she cares about her other daughter Maggie who was just staying home”. You actually mention something that should also have another controversy. It can also use the literary element or Irony and characterization. Even when the mother was caring about Maggie., Dee was also taking care of herself benefit. It is hard to see it from a fair side though.
    In fact, this reminds me of some people who actually leave their family and the people who they love just because they want to have a better quality of life in another place that fits best for them. It also happens a lot with immigrants. They leave their families to come to potential full of opportunities country where their life can get better regardless of how much they want to be with their family or love their family.

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I look forward to hearing more about them.
    Idelkys