The world is full of endangered species. People around the globe are taking action to decrease the rate of our beloved species that are disappearing before our eyes. Even though so much attention is being brought to certain species, many are being left to go extincts and will never walk this planet again. According to Reuters, “Every hour, three species disappear. Every day, up to 150 species are lost.”  I decided to choose this topic because I was shown a documentary in my AP environmental class that showed our modern problems with extinction. When a species goes extinct, it can throw off the balance of an entire ecosystem. 

I wanted to focus on endangered species in China and how they help the situation or worsen it. In the documentary I watched many endangered species were used in Chinese medicine to “cure” diseases like cancer.  The New York Times states, “The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (Cites) banned international commercial trade of rhinos and most tigers in 1975. But for decades afterward, China permitted domestic sales of products made from these animals.”  Mammals like Mantarays were hunted to the brink of extinction to trade with China to be used as “medicine”. This needs to stop so our planet can thrive with these outstanding species that make the beauty of planet Earth.

The endangered species problem in China has been acknowledged and the government has tried to stop the trade and consumption of these species. According to CNN, “Last year, mainland China announced a ban on shark fin at official banquets and Hong Kong also banned shark fin, bluefin tuna and black moss (at official functions).” As you can see, China has attempted to get rid of their problem. In some ways it has worked, but not completely. The government can’t stop the black market of China. The trade of endangered species has not been stopped, which is the main problem. I believe that if enough attention is brought to this problem, it would bring people from around the world to stop the Trade of endangered species. This is how my solution relates to my blog post. The main purpose of the blog post is to raise awareness to this problem and start a discussion. I think that my solution can only go so far in fixing this problem. Even though it will bring awareness, it’s the people that are brought to the attention of this problem that will need to help fix this situation, not only me. This is why bringing awareness isn’t the best option, but it’s the best I can do personally. 

To further my research on this topic, I looked up “black market trade in china for endangered species.” I found an article called “China’s Mixed Messages on the Global Trade in Endangered-Animal Parts.” The article was saying exactly what I imagined it would, “…the demand for rhino horns and tiger bones is also driven by an ancient belief in their power to cure everything from fever to impotence.” Originally, China banned trade of these items, but then in 2017 China decided to reverse the ban and have the trade market be “controlled.” Through this article I’ve learned that it’s not the black market that is the whole problem, it’s also the regular trade market. Its legal to trade these animal parts of these endangered species. Therefore, China is encouraging the killing of these species. This policy opened up the gates for illegal trade completely. Thankfully in 2018 China backed down and banned the trade of Rhinos and Tigers. Like the article has stated, China has extremely mixed messages about how they feel about the trade of animal parts. I believe that they think they should be allowed to trade the parts of animals but society is telling them otherwise so they are conflicted. What do you think? 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Endagered Species In China by Braden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Erick R 2 months ago

Dear Braden, your article really had a positive impact on me, and changed my way on how I now see endangered species. These animals are too good to be treated like this and we have to start realizing that The world is full of endangered species.You said that people around the world are trying to prevent endangered animals. Not enough people are taking action, and if they were, the word endangered wouldn’t be thrown out there so much. You said that every hour 3 species disappear. That’s like 150 species we lose everyday. That’s a lot of species, and me being an animal lover I hate to hear this. I hope us humans step up and really start doing more action and less talking. I hope to read more from you soon, and I love the information you have provided me with.

2. Junior 2 months ago

Dear Braden :
    I am very surprised about your letter About your Letter, “Endangered Species In China,” because… It goes into detail on how you are trying to get your point across on the endangered species in china.I also like how you go into detail with how we lose 150 species a day
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ‘’When a species goes extinct, it can throw off the balance of an entire ecosystem. ” I think this is Very interesting because… it stands out as what humans are doing to the life of species.it also explains how when an ecosystem changes it messes everything up and we can lose even more species because of it.
    Another sentence that I had seen was: “very hour, three species disappear. Every day, up to 150 species are lost.” This stood out for me because… We don’t know every single species that is out there.
    Have you seen this Article? https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/directory?direction=desc&sort=extinction_status I thought you might be interested in this because of…the list that it shows not only from china but everywhere around the world
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because…I liked the way you explained everything in your article because you were straight forward.

3. Junior 2 months ago

i think this is a great post and it talks about the endangered species in china and how we can help the situation going on with these species

4. irving 2 months ago

i hope for change in the future in order to help the many endangered species around the world.

5. Jordan 2 months ago

Thank you for sharing the article Asher, I never knew there was a trade this big toward exotic animals. This is very sad to see, I really wish more can be done so this can be limited

6. Justin 2 months ago

Dear Braden

I am very excited by your post “Endangered Species In China,” because I feel like many of your ideas about how endangered species in China line up very closely with mine and I feel that in the future your work will get even better and better. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Through this article I’ve learned that it’s not the black market that is the whole problem, it’s also the regular trade market” I think this is very important because many people think that all of China’s endangered wildlife trade is underground and hidden from plain sight, however much of it is actually not considered illegal and can be seen in public. Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “ I believe that if enough attention is brought to this problem, it would bring people from around the world to stop the Trade of endangered species.” This stood out for me because I feel like this is the best way to solve this type of problem and earlier cases of people just bring attention to a problem and people realizing and fixing it have happened before like with the shark fin soup social ban/reform.Have you seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_jKdI68eI I thought you might be interested in this because it shows how China did put in a lot of effort to preserve animals like the Giant Panda, kinda like how you wrote about in your post.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you seem to genuinely care about this topic and want to spread all the information you know on to others to bring forth change. That is something I wish I will be able to do in the future and along with seeing how far you’ll go down in the rabbit hole of information in this cruel, but fascinating topic.

7. Hannah 2 months ago

Hi Branden! This is an awesome post and something that we often don’t think of in our day to day lives. The lives of animals, especially endangered species are so important to education, history, and the preservation of our environment. I just finished an Oceanography class at my high school and we actually talked a lot about the illegal shark finning market in Asian countries, especially china. Most of the animals being hunted and killed are for medicinal purposes; with the shark fins they are usually made into a soup that was once eaten by royalty. A documentary that you should watch that made a huge impact on me was “Shark water Extinction” and the dangers of the finning industry. Animals are so important and i think it’s very important that you are raising awareness. Your writing was very well written and used appropriate sources of information. GOOD JOB!

8. Ellie 2 months ago

Braden,

I enjoyed reading your post because I am currently interested in climate change and endangered species. Especially when you summarize an article that exposes the problem of legal markets by saying “Through this article I’ve learned that it’s not the black market that is the whole problem, it’s also the regular trade market. Its legal to trade these animal parts of these endangered species. Therefore, China is encouraging the killing of these species. This policy opened up the gates for illegal trade completely,” it made me realize that there are a lot of governmental policies that the voters are not aware of. This case specifically emphasizes the need for voter education so that voters can vote for policies that conserve our planet rather than make illegal things legal.
    You might be interested in reading this article
    https://ballotpedia.org/Endangered_species_policy_in_the_United_States
    because it makes us look back at our own policies on endangered species in the United States.
    I hope to keep reading articles from you and would love to stay in touch.

Ellie Han

9. asher 2 months ago

Hello Branden
    Thank you for your post I think you bring a lot of important topics and points that people need to take note of. especially in countries outside of the U.S we might not care to look in further on a topic because of that, but if we don’t learn from others than we can’t grow without making those life changing mistakes. An article from new York times talks about the mix signals china has made with their stance on protecting animals, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/chinas-mixed-messages-on-the-global-trade-in-endangered-animal-parts.html I think that leaders need to focus in on this and make sure there is a consensus that letting these animal go extinct with result in a much bigger cost than to sell them will make.
    -Asher