Medical marijuana legalization is one of the hot topics in politics in recent years. With more states making the substance legal, awareness of legalization issues has grown significantly. The problem with the lack of “technical” knowledge is the FDA classifying marijuana as a schedule 1 drug. This means that in order to test it for medical purposes, a special licence is required to do so. Because of this it is only been approved by the FDA for two rare forms of epilepsy, but that could change in the coming years

Marijuana has many pros as well as the fact that they have many cons as well, which is why so many people are skeptical about its legalization. But the things I have found seem to show that the pros outweigh the cons. Some pros that come up frequently for people arguing for the legalization are things like the fact that cannabis does not necessarily need to be smoked, there are now cbd oils, creams, edibles, and many other ways of consuming. Marijuana can help with many forms of chronic pain, help with appetite loss in HIV/AIDS patients and decrease nausea caused by chemotherapy for cancer patients. These are just a few of the many benefits that cannabis possesses.

There are still cons to marijuana, in which some of the people against it use to make their arguments. Such as Frequent use can impair your cognitive abilities, they can affect short and long term memory and when smoked can cause damage to your lung tissue but most importantly can get you to become addicted, which is the biggest risk for marijuana users. 

These are all valid points but when you compare these views to things that are currently legal, such as alcohol and cigarettes, it is hard to make and argument when people’s free will is the deciding factor. Also for most people who are supporters say that the pros and what they get out of it outweigh the cons by a long shot, especially if the person uses in a responsible manner and does not abuse it. And on the other side they argue that while their might be more pros and cons, the cons are much more risky and could ultimately lead to injury or death

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Marijuana be Legalized by alex is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Peter 1 month ago

Alex, I appreciated you writing this paper on this controversiall topic. Personally I am in favor of legalizing marijuana on all fronts, it is after all just a plant right? Thank you for sharing both the negative and positives of the drug. Another article that I find helpful when referring to the legalization of marijuana is https://disa.com/map-of-marijuana-legality-by-state.

2. Heriberto 1 month ago

Dear Alex:

I'm amazed by your poem, "Should Marijuana be Legalized" because I learned that marijuana can be medicinal. I am from Mexico and I live in California. One thing I liked was that you say that marijuana is medicinal as for rheumatism. Something I think is that, on the one hand, marijuana should not be legalized because even children smoke it and I think that is not right. Numas should legalize it as in some parts and for those who really need them but only for that. That is why I think it is a good thing for the elderly as the sick less for the children. Thanks for your writing. I hope you keep posting more park and I keep seeing them and keep commenting. what are your favorite things.

Heriberto

3. Rolando 1 month ago

Dear Alex:

I am perplexed with its publication since it gives its point of view of the subject in a glorifying way but my opinion is that in my point of view marijuana should not be legalized since people instead of using it medicinally, will use it as a drug recreational and I tell you this because I have seen people who are asking for money to eat but in reality they are only going to buy more and more drugs until they make a load for society. I do not say this just to say it since it actually happened to me, when I was eating hamburgers in LA once a lady came to my table and asked me for money for food but when I gave it to her I told her to buy the food in that same restaurant and she said yes but when I released her in money she ran away and I could see through the windows of the restaurant as he gave money to a person and instead gave him a cigar and that’s why I oppose the legalization of marijuana because it only ruins people.

4. Sophie 1 month ago

Alex, I really enjoyed reading your writing. I liked how you added both the pros and cons of medical marijuana. I agreed with everything said, and think that you presented your information very well. Heres a source I think you might enjoy reading! https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana-medicine