Vegetarianism has been around ever since Ancient Greece (570 BC – 495 BC) There were many philosophers back then that talked about how to be stewards of the earth not consumers of them. A vegetarian diet can help with world hunger and can improve one’s health such as a lower chance of getting heart disease. A vegetarian diet can help reduce chances of getting kidney stones and gallstones. “Food wastage can be up to 20% of food purchases and food losses across the supply chain can be far greater than this.”  Food waste can be a cause of your carbon footprint. 

Many people think you can’t get all of your dietary needs with a vegetarian diet. But there are many supplemtnts u can take and substitutes for meat that can give you protein.  But having a vegetarian diet can reduce obesity and there is a smaller chance of developing kidney stones. A vegetarian diet can also improve your mood. “Arachidonic acid is a substance that usually comes from dietary animal sources and, no surprise, vegetarian diets are not high in arachidonic acid.” Many researchers at Benedictine University studied the impact of restricting animal products and said that it can improve your mood when meat, fish, and poultry are restricted.

The way we eat can make a huge impact on our environment. Vegetarianism can solve world hunger because vegetables and fruits are cheaper and easier to grow and take less space and water to grow. To make on hamburger it takes up to 635 gallons of water. In the article global citizen it says that around 700 million tons of food that could be eaten by humans goes to livestock each year. A vegan or vegetarian diet can help clean the air because plants clean the air and all the livestock causes more air pollution than cars and busses. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is a vegetarian diet really have benefits for the environment by Katie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Olivia 2 months ago

Hi Katie,
    I really like your argument and how you use not only evidence from our world today, but all the way back to the ancient civilizations. There is a lot we can learn from that. Your argument was easy to follow, well supported, and straight forward! I think you would enjoy this article https://time.com/4266874/vegetarian-diet-climate-change/ . It is about how we can all decrease our carbon footprint by following a plant based diet!

2. Emma 2 months ago

Looking at the detrimental environmental impacts of animal farming and consumption is mind blowing. If eating meat was necessary for humanity’s health well being, I would be most tolerant to meat eaters. However the health benefits of a vegetarian diet is enough to change my mind. So why are people still eating meat? I wonder if it is a meat preface or convince issue or if it is more of a financial burden to adopt a vegetarian diet.