The Modern e-cigarette was created in China by a man named Hon Lik in 2003. But not until 2006-2007 did e-cigarettes start hitting the western market. In 2014 e-cigarettes were popping up in almost every single gas station and supermarket. With this new and “healthy” alternative hitting the streets, it also introduced teens to vaping and smoking. With vapes coming in different flavors it is easy to fall into the trap that so many people get stuck in for the rest of their lives. Going into 2016, people still had no idea what was inside of vape juice even though it has been open to the public for 13 years!

With 20% of teens in High School admitting to trying/using a vape device before, we can only expect that number to rise year after year, unless something is done about it. Juul is a popular brand for small vapes that teens are able to get their hands on. They are small, cheaper than most other devices, and come with many different flavor pods. With this vaping device being the one of choice for high schoolers, the state government has cracked down on these multi-million dollar companies and telling them that they can no longer sell flavored vape juice because it applies to the teen demographic more than the “of age” demographic.

www.newportacademy.com tells us that “Along with nicotine, vaping liquids contain additives such as propylene glycol and glycerol. These toxic chemicals have been linked to cancer, respiratory disease, and heart disease.” Many scientists have found that diacetyl, a chemical found in certain vape juice, causes a lung disease called popcorn lung. This is the obstruction of the lung’s small airways. 

Vape juice is not some type of liquid that you inhale and it puts out vaporized water. But instead it can hold certain types of metal such as nickel, tin, and lead. Along with juul, the pods sold separately come with 4 pods in each pack. Each pod is 5% nicotine. Each pod contains the same amount of nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes. 

The biggest threat to the youth vaping epidemic is how easy it is for someone under the age of 19 is to find one. All that the kids underage need to do is find someone who is 19 or above and give them money to go into the gas station and come back out with a vape and the e-juice.

Studies show that if vapes had no fruity flavors then the youth would not be found vaping. The state of Utah has already implemented a new law for juul that they can no longer buy flavored pods, only tobacco and other hard flavors. 

12 cases of people dying have been reported and 46 states have had 1 or more people hospitalized in the past 2 years. With vaping getting out of hand and teens purchasing more and more vaping materials, these vape companies need to somehow figure out a way for teens to no longer vape, or completely shut down their multi-million dollar vape businesses.

Parents see and understand the effects of smoking. But vaping being a new concept for parents puts them into a new mindset about the problems vaping is cause for teens. Ways teens can stop smoking is putting reasons they need to stop smoking on their phones and when they feel the urge to vape they can look at their phones for support. Picking a day to stop smoking prepares the person smoking and gives them some time to mentally prepare to stop smoking so it doesn’t hit them as hard.

9% of people who smoke/vape end up trying harder drugs. This means that vaping is a gateway drug. A gateway drug is a drug that can lead to other drugs that you have never tried before thinking that you will be safe and you will feel better after the drug itself. Drugs that come after the gateway drugs are normally illegal and there’s a reason why they are illegal.

CC BY-SA 4.0 History of Vaping by Riley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.