There is a controversial issue in our current society, “Does the death penalty stop the crimes happen?” There are extreme parties on each side to support or deny the appliance of the death penalty. Here are the arguments that I conclude and research below.

Some believe that the death penalty can stop crimes happen because of deterrence. Deterrence is the action of discouraging an action or event through instilling doubt or fear of the consequences. In the article, Death Penalty Information Center, it mentioned, “The essence of the theory is that the threat of being executed in the future will be sufficient to cause a significant number of people to refrain from committing a heinous crime they had otherwise planned. Deterrence is not principally concerned with the prevention of further killing by an already convicted death-penalty defendant,” it stated that if people are sentenced to death for their severe crimes, they will probably think deeply before killing for fear of losing their own life, which will decrease the crime possibility.

However, on the other side, some studies regarding deterrence are inconclusive. In the article, A Clear Scientific Consensus That The Death Penalty Does Not Deter, it stated, “the authors report that 88.2% of respondents do not think that the death penalty deters murder—a level of consensus comparable to the agreement among scientists regarding global climate change. At the same time, only 9.2% of surveyed experts indicated that they believed the death penalty results in a significant drop in murder cases,” it reveals that most experts do not believe that the death penalty serves as deterrents to murder, nor do they believe that existing empirical research supports the deterrence theory, which means that the death penalty rarely stops the crimes happen in our society.

In conclusion, some people claim in the US; the death penalty serves as a deterrent that makes violent crime decreases for the executions. Nevertheless, some argue that executions brutalize our society because government and supporters diminish respect for life when the death penalty is allowed. The critical point is that the deterrent only works on those criminals who have consciences, but how can we ensure those criminals have the moral sense or just being a psychopath, who even probably enjoy the deaths. Therefore, the death penalty has become an intractable problem that makes people confused about where to begin to confront and treat it.

1. Mijin 5 months ago

Hello Danny.
    I really like your topic about the death penalty because there can be possibilities of mistakes.
    I agree with your saying that the death penalty doesn’t care about human rights, and I think no one deserves to take someone’s life.
    Here is the link might help you think more about the topic: https://countercurrents.org/2020/02/death-penalty-and-the-anti-thesis-of-it
    Thank you.

2. Honam 6 months ago

Hi Danny,
    I found this issue controversial because different states have different laws on death penalty. In my point of view, no one has the right to take others’ lives away, even that person had killed another person. It’s not a problem if death penalty is effective, but it’s a problem if we are right to do so.
    https://eji.org/issues/death-penalty/

sincerely,
    Honam Cao