Advanced Placement(AP) classes have been instituted for the past 50 years. But over the last few years, the creators of the program have been aiming to reform it and enable students to be exposed to their careers early on.

For a while, AP classes have been for those high achieving students needing more challenging courses. “On the surface, high school Advanced Placement (AP) courses might seem to be a no-brainer for those high performing high school students searching for a challenging academic environment and a fulfilling experience while earning college credits at a fraction of the cost of what they would pay when enrolled in college.” But now, more students are starting to take it due to the desire for college and career readiness. Students who pass AP exams have a chance of obtaining college credits. Those from low income families who believe they can be successful in AP courses also have a shot at reducing their college spending and potentially graduating early based on the amount of college credits they accumulate.

Although AP classes seem to be great as they already are, the creators of the program have been trying to improve it for students. AP classes prepare students for college courses and allow them to earn college credits. But one thing it never really focused on, was the career readiness aspect of it. Students now not only want to be ready for college, but also for their careers. So by adding a vocational aspect to the AP program, allowing students to study and prepare directly for the career they seek, students are able to pick the classes that fascinate them and also prepares them for their future careers.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Altering Advanced Placement Classes by Gedeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Honam 1 month ago

Hi Gedeon,
    I partly disagree with the idea of adding the career aspect into the high school AP courses. It’s not feasible for most high school students to spend time on careers that they don’t even know if they are interested in or will be study in. Therefore, there will be less and less students going to place themselves into AP courses.
    https://www.eachieve.com/HighSchoolAP/BestCoursesFor

Honam Cao