• Euthanasia other wise known as assisted suicide refers to the action taken with the intention of taking a life, in order to relieve extreme suffering. In most countries assisted suicide is illegal, however in countries such as Holland, Belgium, and Canada it is not. In addition, few states in the US allow Euthanasia. There are a lot of factors that play in to the controvorcial topic of Euthanasia, and wheter it is moraly right. With that being said, one of the big reasons is the Hippocratic Oath. 
  • According to the Harvard Medical School, the Hippocratic Oath calls physicians to “avoid harming patients, including providing no ‘deadly medicine’ even if requested to do so.” This simply by itself completely contradicts assisted suicide. However, because the world has changed significantly since the time of Hippocrates, many believe that the original oath is outdated. 
  • This was the case with voters in the state of Oregon, as they approved the Death with Dignity Act of 1994. As the CNN Library states, “This allows physicians to prescribe medications for people that have a terminal illness, as well as a 6 month lifespan, to hasten death.” Following this, many other states like Colorado, Vermont, and Washington have done the same. Althought the method in each state varies, the beliefs surrounding the controversial topic of assisted suicide remains the same. With time, it is probable that other states will change their views as well.