At Judge Memorial Catholic Highschool, we have a school uniform policy. To me, it seems like there are different opinions on how people feel about school uniforms. But a world vote, says that 86 percent of schools support the idea of having school uniforms. Different schools with uniforms, may have different reasons to why they make them mandatory. Every school is different and each school has a different reason for why they do or do not have uniforms. 

It’s not just private schools that make uniforms mandatory. In 2015-2016, 21 percent of public schools required uniforms. Having a uniform dress code also has a lot of up sides. It prevents gang violence, make it easier for kids to dress, gives pride, promotes learning, ect.

Uniforms bring a school closer together. Throughout my entire highschool experience, I’ve had to wear a uniform. I feel like uniforms are a good idea but it blocks kids from trying to express themselves and finding their self identity. Ourkids.net says “it is the perfect opportunity for children to have that without the stress of what they wear defining them”. I disagree with this statement because kids don’t get to express themselves if they are told what to wear and told what to do at school.

CC BY-SA 4.0 School Uniforms by Cam is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ella 1 month ago

Hi Cam,
    I found your piece very interesting. I have worn a uniform ever since I was in Kindergarten. I understand that it blocks people from expressing themselves or having a creative identity. However, I personally like uniforms. Maybe it is because I have spent my whole life wearing one, but I find them easy and convenient. I think that wearing uniforms is easier than having to find something new to wear everyday. Also, uniforms can offer a sense of inclusion to some kids. I agree with your when you said “Having a uniform dress code also has a lot of up sides. It prevents gang violence, make it easier for kids to dress, gives pride, promotes learning, etc.” I really enjoyed reading what you had to say, nicely done.

2. Siqi 1 month ago

I agree with that students in school should be wearing uniform. Uniforms are a good idea but it blocks how much money kid’s parents can make and to avoid children trying to express themselves and finding their self identity. But there is a serious problem that the uniforms are too expensive for those of student‘s parents who don’t have economic conditions. I highly recommend that the school should decrease the price of those uniform.