In the CNN article New York public schools to have ‘Meatless Mondays’ starting this fall, written by Doug Criss, he discusses the new policy that was implemented to schools in NYC. This policy is similar to “Meatless Mondays”; schools changed the breakfast and lunch options served on Mondays to vegetarian meals. Mayor Bill de Blasio states that, “Cutting back on meat a little will improve New Yorkers’ health and reduce greenhouse gas emissions”. The main reason of implementing meatless Mondays into the public school system in NYC is about health and environmental preservation.

Eating a plant based diet lowers the risk of obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer. By implementing more earth grown foods into your diet and decrease your meat intake, you are adding protection to your bodily health. Reducing your meat intake can also have serious benefits to the environment as well. A study found that animal product production creates the most food related greenhouse gas emissions at 78% of the total agricultural emissions. If we as a society decrease the amount of meat we purchase and consume, greenhouse gas emissions would decrease globally. Although there has been pushback from parents and workers in the meat industry, many believe that it’s time to change the way we look at food and how food impacts our lives.

A quote from James Oddo, the Staten Island Borough President, says everything that needs to be said about why changing our diets is beneficial to our future survival. He says, “Look at the data. Look at the childhood obesity. Look at pre-diabetes diagnoses. Look at the fact that 65% of American kids age 12 to14 shows signs of early cholesterol disease. Then, perhaps you will embrace the fact that we can’t keep doing things the same way, including welcoming the idea of Meatless Mondays.” New York is the first of hopefully many states to implement Meatless Mondays into their school systems.

New York Public Schools To Have ‘meatless Mondays’ Starting This Fall

Doug Criss – https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/new-york-meatless-mondays-trnd/index.html